My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

15th May 2012 - All images face left

Post by Jools »

Way back in 1997 when I created the first page with a bunch of thumbnails on it, I decided they looked a bit jumbled when the fish faced left and right. I decided then to make all fishes on the site face right and, hey presto, all these image pages with loads of thumbnails on them looked nice and neat and tidy.

At some point later on someone (likely Silurus) pointed out to me that the scientific convention was to show fishes facing left. For years since then we've bucked that standard and I've not liked doing that.

So, in a fit of changes, Mats (primarily) and I (basically in the role of ideas man) have made changes that will show all fourteen thousand and forty two images to face left. This is done programatically, so we can change back at any time we like. But it's done now for the reason of falling in step with scientific convention.

If anyone has submitted and image with a watermark on it this will be flipped too and not look great. I am happy to update any of these images if flipped and re-watermarked - just get in touch.

Cheers,

Jools
wrasse
My articles: 1
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Re: 15th May 2012 - All images face left

Post by wrasse »

Obsessive-compulsive? Anal retentive?

No, not you Jools. The scientific community, of course.

Richard B-(

Return to “Site Announcements”