ID Bullhead

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
PeaceRiver
My images: 3
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Central Florida, USA

ID Bullhead

Post by PeaceRiver »

Juvenile catfish (photos @ approx. 45 days old) spawned from fish caught in Hillsborough River watershed (Tampa area, Central FL, USA). I believe this is a yellow bullhead (Ameiurus natalis) but am looking for confirmation. I still have the parents and fry so I can take more pictures if necessary.
DSC_9491.jpg
DSC_9492.jpg
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Re: ID Bullhead

Post by Birger »

Do the adults also have the light colored mandibular barbels as mentioned here??

If so you are correct.

Thesee are nice juvi photos...would you consider letting us use them on the data page here on PlanetCatfish??

Birger
Birger
PeaceRiver
My images: 3
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Central Florida, USA

Post by PeaceRiver »

Thank you for the quick response.
Birger wrote:Do the adults also have the light colored mandibular barbels as mentioned here??
Yes, the adults have the same light colored chin barbels. Based on body shape and geographic range, Brown and Yellow Bullhead are the apparent options for these fish. The chin barbels imply that it is a Yellow Bullhead. Virtually every source that I have reviewed point to the light colored chin barbels as the key point of differentiation, however Becker (1983) in Fishes of Wisconsin threw me off with the following statement describing Brown Bullhead (Ictalurus nebulosus), "Barbels dark brown to nearly black, except sometimes barbels on chin yellow to white" (p. 702).
Birger wrote:These are nice juvi photos...would you consider letting us use them on the data page here on PlanetCatfish??
Although I am a bit embarrassed about the debris on the glass in the pictures, you are welcome to use the images on the site. I will attempt to provide better images in the future. In the mean time I am including an additional image for your use from when this batch of fry was approximately two days old.
IMG_2954.jpg
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

[quote you are welcome to use the images on the site. I will attempt to provide better images in the future. In the mean time I am including an additional image for your use from when this batch of fry was approximately two days old.
][/quote]

Excellent, thank you, have we used images of yours in the past??

If not and so you can be credited I need the below information sent in a pm or to birger@planetcatfish.com, do not post it here for your own privacy. Both are available on the far right of this post.

1) your email used for this site

2) your user name (PeaceRiver)

3)and your first and last name for the contributor list.

Thanks so much
Birger
Birger

Return to “What is my catfish?”