Help with ID please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Miken359
Location 1: United states
Location 2: California

Help with ID please

Post by Miken359 »

Bought this synodontis from my LFS they were unsure of type . It is about 8 inches and pretty active in tank. I had been looking for a synodontis njasse for awhile and he closely resembled this . Anyone have any idea if this is an Njassae or what it can be?
Attachments
Syno
Syno
Syno
Syno
Syno
Syno
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Re: Help with ID please

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I'll let others pass opinion on the ID, but from those photos and if they are recent, you could really do with isolating this catfish in quarantine and fattening it up, it has a sunken belly.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It strikes me as eupterus (with a short, blunt snout eupterus are sometimes referred to as galinae) but its dorsal fin seems too small. Need a photo with it spread out anyway, I'd think.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

The shortened snout and oversized eye lead me to believe that this may be one of the hybrid lines. I can also see hints of eupterus, but that species is fairly commonly used as a parent species in hybridized lines because of large clutch size and relatively sturdy fry.
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.

Return to “What is my catfish?”