It's Otocinclus arnoldi?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Andrea Perotti
Location 2: Varese - Italy

It's Otocinclus arnoldi?

Post by Andrea Perotti »

Hello .... it's an O. arnoldi?

MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: It's Otocinclus arnoldi?

Post by MatsP »

According to Catalog of Fishes, O. arnoldi is a synonym of . Since your fish doesn't look even remotely like O. flexilis, it's unlikely that it is (even if we disregard the synonymy) O. arnoldi.

I double checked with Mergus Catfish Atlas, which also has the same synonymy.

Sorry, I can't tell you what it is. I'm sure Mike Noren will be around soon to let us out of our misery.

--
Mats
DutchFry
My images: 12
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: The Hague
Location 2: The Netherlands

Post by DutchFry »

I'm quite sure this is

I have 7 of these myself they are beautiful oto's.
Greetings, Tim
Andrea Perotti

Post by Andrea Perotti »

This is a my Otocinclus vittatus:

...is similar to that of the other photos, but not equal, they change ends of the lobes of the tail, rounded in the other picture, sharp in this one.

Sorry for my English, I'm Italian.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Yes, by searching the Internet, I'm sure we can find all sorts of evidence for things that aren't true - whether that is that the moonlanding is a fake, or that my common bristlnoses are rather than - there are after all pictures on Wikipedia called A. dolichopterus that are clearly the common variety... I could also find that my common Ancistrus are .

Unfortunately, if someone buys a fish called X and don't know any better, they will probably post photos of it as X. That doesn't actually make it that species.

The ACSI (All Catfish Species Inventory) supposedly has a picture of the holotype (the fish used for the original description) of O. arnoldi. Unfortunately, that site is not currently working.

I will see if I can get hold of the species pictures another way, and then put them up here on Planet Catfish.

When I did an image search, I found a lot of pictures supposedly showing O. arnoldi, but if as I suspect, the fish looks pretty much like O. flexilis, then all those images are indeed wrong. But then this is not Ancistrus dolichopterus, which is the second picture to come up when searching for that species in google image search

Photo copyright André Karwath.

--
Mats
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Yes, vittatus.

O. arnoldi is presently considered a synonym of .

As for what's pictured under that name on the net... In the pet trade "O. arnoldi" has been used as a grab-bag for various species from several genera. Basically, it's rare that Otocinclus are sold under the right name, the norm is that they get fanciful ID's like "affinis" or "vestitus". Or "arnoldi".

Edit: Andrea, your second fish is probably also a vittatus, although it is unusually dark and has a wider dark stripe and less distinct pigmentation than "typical" vittatus. Perhaps different populations, vittatus has a huge distribution and there is geographic variation, but it could also be a different species. Your first fish is a typical vittatus.
Andrea Perotti

Post by Andrea Perotti »

Ok, thank you very much.
L number Banana
I've donated: $5.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Kingston, ON, Canada

Post by L number Banana »

Can't add any info but those are wonderful pictures! :thumbsup:
Racing, shoes and fish. Nothing else matters. Oh, and bacon.

Return to “What is my catfish?”