Giant Otos/Hypoptopoma ID please

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
parrot1974
My cats species list: 50 (i:18, k:11)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:284)
Spotted: 16
Location 2: Isle of Wight

Giant Otos/Hypoptopoma ID please

Post by parrot1974 »

Hi all
Recently bought a couple of Hypoptopomas - lovely fish and very smart. I bought them as h. gulare, which was fine, but am now having my doubts. Our local LFS has some h. gulare (supposedly) for sale, but they are lacking the clear lateral line that mine show and their caudal fin pigmentation differs widely.
When I looked at the examples of h. gulare on the cat-elog, the preserved specimen does not have the same caudal fin pigmentation as mine and, in fact, picture 6 looks just like mine but not the same as the preserved specimen.
What I'm really checking is, is the preserved specimen the one that we should be comparing to (in which case mine are unlikely to be h. gulare) or should we look at all pictures on the cat-elog? Having checked briefly on the revision of hypoptopoma (Aquino, Adriana E.; Schaefer, Scott Allen, 2010), the caudal fin pigmentation appears to indicate h. psilogaster or h. guianense. However, of the two, it looks far more like h. guianense, but not an exact match.
Can anyone help? H. gulare is fine, but I just want to be clear on what they are!
Thanks.
Attachments
Lateral view
Lateral view
Hypo 2
Hypo 2
Hypo 1
Hypo 1
parrot1974
My cats species list: 50 (i:18, k:11)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:284)
Spotted: 16
Location 2: Isle of Wight

Re: Giant Otos/Hypoptopoma ID please

Post by parrot1974 »

Thought I'd add pictures I took today of the h.gulare as sold by my LFS. As you can see there is a fair amount of difference between these and mine, not least the fact that the lower part of the caudal fin is heavily pigmented in these, rather than having a continuous lateral line through their caudal fins, as mine have.
Any ideas on which, if either of these, could be h. gulare and what the others might be?
Thanks.
Attachments
LFS h. gulare 2
LFS h. gulare 2
LFS h. gulare 1
LFS h. gulare 1
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Re: Giant Otos/Hypoptopoma ID please

Post by Durlänger »

roughly:

first post / the ones you own: rather Hypoptopoma guianense, Hypoptopoma cf_guianense, Hypoptopoma sp. (3) or related

secound post / at your LFS: rather Hypoptopoma brevirostratum, Hypoptopoma inexpectata, Hypoptopoma sp. (2) or related

Hypoptopoma gulare don`t have that well showing black line from nose to end, which yours have
Origin known?

Return to “What is my catfish?”