My Beloved (yet unidentified) Pleco

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
BenWP
Location 2: Austin, TX

My Beloved (yet unidentified) Pleco

Post by BenWP »

pleco.jpeg
The pic quality isn't great, but I suspect that someone here can ID this sucker (ha! pun intended) so I can find out how to appropriately feed the little booger.

He's the coolest pleco I've had; doesn't hide at all, swims around the tank, and even comes up to the top at feeding time, which is what brings me here. I've got some bogwood and a vacation feeder block coming in tomorrow for him. I've tried sinking various veggies with a clip and line into the tank, but no interest in it yet.

Thanks in advance!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: My Beloved (yet unidentified) Pleco

Post by Shane »

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps possibly.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
B20
My cats species list: 8 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: singapore

Post by B20 »

thats the most common pleco... L001...
im not an expert... hence correct me if im wrong... b-)
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Looks more like (common pleco), than (gibby) or (L001).

As for care, read the Catfish of the Month article here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm. ... cle_id=366.
mikeyrose
Location 1: Clark, NJ
Location 2: Clark, NJ
Interests: Many, many...but fishes are my favorite animals after dogs. And the kittyfish family is my overall favorite freshwater one. =]

Post by mikeyrose »

I was going to say, he looks a lot like 3 of my 4 old much-beloved plecos, who were Pterygoplichthys (or Liposarcus) pardalis. I used to think they were Gibbys, but then corrected myself.

Return to “What is my catfish?”