difference between L029 and L082

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
jake
Location 1: canada
Location 2: brantford

difference between L029 and L082

Post by jake »

best i can do with the camera i got. and now he is mad at me for moving hiom for the pic.
best i can do with the camera i got. and now he is mad at me for moving hiom for the pic.
can anyone nelp me tell the difference between L029 galaxy plaeco and a L082 opal spotted pleco..my son bought it as a L082 galaxy pleco. need help to know their feeding requirments. they are only 3inches..

thanks for any help
Last edited by jake on 25 Dec 2015, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Re: difference between L029 and L082

Post by CharlieM9 »

If you paid a reasonable amount, it is most likely a leporacanthicus, aka galaxy pleco. Pictures will help best for us to help you determine that, and thenwe can guide on care once IDd...
Suckermouth
My images: 17
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 6 (i:0, p:237)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by Suckermouth »

is a Leporacanthicus, so it has a few very long upper jaw teeth, hence why they're sometimes called vampire plecos. They should also have a relatively large bump on the back of their head, while in most plecos the back of the head smoothly transitions into the back. Also Leporacanthicus are kind of spiky. One characteristic that seems distinctive of is the shape of the body. In most plecos, there is a noticeable slope from the back of the head to the tail, but this slope is far more gentle in L082, to the point where the slopes of the belly and the back look nearly parallel. In addition, if you bought an L082 you would likely know for sure, since these are hundreds of dollars each.

Your picture doesn't quite look like either. Could be or , but I'm guessing that mostly because they're fairly common. There are quite a few plecos with dark bodies and light colored spots.
Last edited by Suckermouth on 25 Dec 2015, 03:54, edited 2 times in total.
- Milton Tan
Research Scientist @ Illinois Natural History Survey
jake
Location 1: canada
Location 2: brantford

Post by jake »

i think my son said it was about 40$ canadian, have'nt seen any prices on L082 spotted opal pleco's.and he said they were wild caught.
dconnors
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Location 2: central michigan, USA

Post by dconnors »

It appears to me that it is a Hypancistrus, probably contradens. They have very nice spots and are a very lovely fish to keep. If they were L82 they would have cost a lot more, like $200-$300 US dollars.

Return to “What is my catfish?”