Ancistrus?????

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
bigwaverider
Location 1: southern California
Location 2: USA

Ancistrus?????

Post by bigwaverider »

I got these F1 from a very reputable breeder ordered minutus and got these instead. The import papers say they came from the Rio tocantins. Ingo identified them as L180 thought I'd ask your guys thoughts.

bigwaverider

Re: Ancistrus?????

Post by bigwaverider »

Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

nothing seems to really point to a different conclusion, than the one you allready got.

Anything that seems to be off and makes you doubt?
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
bigwaverider

Post by bigwaverider »

Jobro wrote: 20 Feb 2017, 17:58 nothing seems to really point to a different conclusion, than the one you allready got.

Anything that seems to be off and makes you doubt?
Well I've seen a couple other L180 and they seem to have more spot, even smaller spots and be more white colored than mine. Even the pics on here seem to have way more spots. I have some wigglers in the tumbler and want to make 100% sure so I'd thought I'd ask.
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

Pattern, size and number of spots could depend on the age of the fish. There might also be some variation among different local typs of these fish.

http://www.l-welse.com/reviewpost/showp ... roduct/194

The fish on the blue/green substrate looks very much like yours to me. The other pictures show individuals with a little more spots.

At least one of the fish on Planetcatfish could be a L370 instead of L180. Not sure though.
bigwaverider

Post by bigwaverider »

Thanks so much Jobro that link looks very much like my fish. The dots have not changed since I got them in at 1" I got F1 from the breeder who got wild caught. Both of are fish have kept the spots (size color and amount) have stayed the same.

L370 I don't think so these came from. RIO tocantins
Jobro

Post by Jobro »

Yeah, I didn't intend to suggest that your fish looked like L370 at all. Sorry, I didn't see that potential missunderstanding.

But some of the pictures that are listed as L180 on the internet might be L370 after all and that's why those look way different from yours.
bigwaverider

Post by bigwaverider »

Jobro wrote: 21 Feb 2017, 19:41 Yeah, I didn't intend to suggest that your fish looked like L370 at all. Sorry, I didn't see that potential missunderstanding.

But some of the pictures that are listed as L180 on the internet might be L370 after all and that's why those look way different from yours.
No I understood. Thanks for your help
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

bigwaverider wrote: 21 Feb 2017, 14:20 Well I've seen a couple other L180 and they seem to have more spot, even smaller spots and be more white colored than mine. Even the pics on here seem to have way more spots. I have some wigglers in the tumbler and want to make 100% sure so I'd thought I'd ask.
There are also at LEAST 4 different plecs being sold under the label of L180 and only one is the true L180. That is also something to consider when looking at them besides just size/age and spot pattern.
Yours looks correct to me..... only other one I can think of that it may be confused with is L32 and I am not sure if it is or isn't actually the same fish.

HTH
Chuck
Pictures of my L32's adults and fry...
Attachments
IMG_0983_opt.jpg
IMG_0985_opt.jpg
IMG_0727_opt.jpg
IMG_0722_opt.jpg
bigwaverider