Doradidae from Kabalebo river

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Karsten S.
My images: 30
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Ludwigsburg - Germany
Location 2: Ludwigsburg - Germany

Doradidae from Kabalebo river

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,

from Kabalebo river in Suriname:

If I remember correctly it was rather small (~6 cm), I guess a juvenile ?!
This one does not seem to fit to any of the doradids listed for Corantijne river system in Suriname or is it just due to the small size, any ideas, is this a Doras ?

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Martin S
I've donated: $20.00!
My images: 9
My cats species list: 90 (i:19, k:0)
Spotted: 17
Location 1: Guildford, Surrey
Location 2: UK
Interests: Aquatics

Re: Doradidae from Kabalebo river

Post by Martin S »

Hi Karsten
Looks very similar to a , can't see any dark pigmentation in the dorsal fin? As am sure you know, the only dorad listed from Coratijne is , which almost certainly isn't this fish. Hopefully @Silurus can shed some light on it?
Regards
Martin
Karsten S.

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi Martin,

additionally there is Doras carinatus (and Acanthodoras cataphractus, Amblydoras affinis, Platydoras costatus, Pterodoras aff. granulosus) listed for Corantijne river which I also rather excluded.
My first thought was also "looks a bit like Tenellus", but I know close to nothing about doradids and Tenellus is not at all listed for Suriname.

Going by the Suriname checklist and my limited ability to ID this catfish group there are no options left...
Perhaps Tenellus leporhinos which is at least listed for Guyana or an undescribed Tenellus sp. ?!

Cheers,
--

Karsten
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I don't see why has been ruled out. For one thing, it seems to me that the very short snout is a particular feature of juvenile fish.

This is a specimen collected from the Essequibo River in Guyana (photograph from FishBase):

A very close match, I think. The number of lateral scutes in the fish in the original post (>30) also support its identification as .

FWIW, Mark Sabaj's revision of Doras also show the very short snout of the juvenile fish.
Karsten S.

Post by Karsten S. »

Hi,
Silurus wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 11:27 I don't see why has been ruled out.
That's why:
kamas88 wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 17:46I know close to nothing about doradids
:d
I don't really rule out anything, I don't have any literature about doradids nor any experience with this group.
I was just curious which species we have caught...

Cheers,
--

Karsten

Return to “What is my catfish?”