New hypoptopomatine genus and species

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New hypoptopomatine genus and species

Post by Silurus »

Martins, FO, BN Andrade, AC Rosa & F Langeani, 2014. Chauliocheilos saxatilis, a new genus and species of Hypoptopomatinae from rio Jequitinhonha basin, with a unique labial appendix (Teleostei: Loricariidae). Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 25: 193-204.

Abstract

Chauliocheilos saxatilis, new genus and species, is described from headwater streams of the rio Itamarandiba, upper rio Jequitinhonha basin, southeastern Brazil. The new genus is diagnosed from all other Loricariidae members by having a unique labial appendix at laterodorsal portion of lower lip, associated to the proximal region of insertion of the maxillary barbel. From all Hypoptopomatinae genera, Chauliocheilos can be distinguished by having two additional series of lateral plates, one between the dorsal and mid-dorsal series, and the other between the mid-ventral and ventral series. In addition, the great number of lateral plates, the absence of the iris operculum, and the posterior dorsal-fin insertion contacting the neural spine of eighth vertebra, are other useful features to recognize the genus. The phylogenetic position of Chauliocheilos among the Hypoptopomatinae, as well as the morphology and possible functions of the labial appendix, are discussed.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”