Split: Panaqolus (again)

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I had a talk with Sonia Fish-Muller, Claude Weber, and other Ichtyologue friends form the MNHN, all of them do not recognise Panaqolus and other genus form that Datz special. And I am almost sure that most if not all Brasilian Ichtyologs do not recognize it either.
This is part of the ongoing effort of systematic ichthyologists to decry the legitimacy of results published in what is known as "gray literature" (e.g. aquarium journals and other publications that are not peer-reviewed).
I don't want to digress any more on this lest we go off on a tangent (plus this is a subject that I have passionate feelings for and I would have a lot to say).
Suffice to say that a long time ago, I had considered publishing descriptions of new species in TFH. I am now glad I never followed up on that, for that would be tantamount to commiting professional suicide
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Just have to point out that I strongly agree with HH on this point. Isbrucker et al was not published in a peer reviewed journal. Had it beed subjected to review and revision I think it would have been a stronger paper and we would not be having most of this discussion. Just a point in favor of keeping stuff out of the gray literature (not to be confused with Jools' Purple Prose!).
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

Hi!

Just to refresh the discussion a bit...has anybody with previous contact tried to invite Jon A. to this discussion?

greets
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

(Broken link was: http://forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=3405)
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3405

See the post by Carachama.

[Mod edit: fix link that was broken a long time ago in a site re-org --Mats]
niederle
Location 1: Moravia

Post by niederle »

Erwin wrote:Indeed does FB sometimes needs somebody who is pointing to this kind of changes. Eschmeyer was faster, he doesn't ignore it.

Erwin
The latter is more useful with its mostly objective information. Only the accepted name at the end of a record is subjective. The former contains too much errors.

niederle

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”