The Dissertations Sticky

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 181
My images: 891
My catfish: 240
My cats species list: 81 (i:1, k:10)
My aquaria list: 13 (i:6)
My BLogs: 7 (i:5, p:192)
My Wishlist: 5
Location 1: M8
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, SCI-FI, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

The catfish dissertations sticky

Post by Jools » Sat Jan 01, 2000 11:58 pm

This sticky is for the posting dissertation research that may be of interest to forum users. Please note that dissertations are not considered valid publications by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, so any nomenclatural acts in dissertations are not considered valid.

Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 163
My catfish: 72
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Location 1: Virginia, USA
Location 2: Virginia, USA

Madtom Adaptive Coloration

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:33 pm

Amanda Stokes' Thesis
"Tests of Adaptive Coloration Hypotheses for Madtom Catfises"

http://www.uno.edu/theses/submitted/etd ... amanda.pdf

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 183
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Exotic armored catfishes in Texas

Post by racoll » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:43 am

Please tell me these were actually Hypostomus...

:cry: :roll: :?

P.S. There doesn't seem to be a "head in hand" smiley.

apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:7)
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:56 am

I read the thesis and wondered the same thing. I have never heard of Hypostomus spp in Texas.
But I noticed several TFH publications were referenced which was a red flag to me that someone didn't really do all their home work.

Thesis Summary:
Placed adhesive eggs on substrate in with large, starved Plecos in confinement and found that the catfish ate 2/3 of the eggs.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $501.00!
My images: 192
My cats species list: 65 (i:0, k:46)
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:16 am

I always assumed the plecos were Pterygoplichthys spp.

http://southwestinvasivespecies.org/Suc ... xasHO1.pdf
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!

Silurus
Expert
My articles: 55
My images: 829
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:90)
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: 142 km from the Equator

Post by Silurus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:18 am

racoll wrote: P.S. There doesn't seem to be a "head in hand" smiley.
I think it's about time we had a facepalm smiley.

racoll

Post by racoll » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:42 am

Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:23 pm

It's just a Master of Science thesis not a Doctor of Philosophy thesis. The facepalming should be directed towards whomever it was who tutored the student.

sidguppy
My images: 41
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:20 am

perfect proof of the fact that a degree doesn't keep people from being dumb as a post and it also is perfect proof that next to hydrogen the most common element in the universe is stupidity.
I'm not so sure about the hydrogen. :lol: :roll:

this looks like genuine Homer Simpson science to me:
Thesis Summary:
Placed adhesive eggs on substrate in with large, starved Plecos in confinement and found that the catfish ate 2/3 of the eggs.
conclusion: duh!
Valar Morghulis

Silurus
Expert

Loricariidae PhD dissertation

Post by Silurus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:10 am

If you are interested in Nathan Lujan's PhD dissertation on jaw morpho-functional diversity, trophic ecology, and historical biogeography of the Neotropical suckermouth armored catfishes (Siluriformes, Loricariidae), it can be downloaded here.

Be forewarned, it's a large (56MB) download.

DP German
Location 2: Irvine, CA USA
Interests: Energy acquisition, digestive mechanisms

Re: Loricariidae PhD dissertation

Post by DP German » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I've read it. It is a great piece of work, and, because the stable isotope data jive with mine, I think it is even better. Plus, Nathan is just a cool guy. :)
Cheers,
Donovan

bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:17)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Re: Loricariidae PhD dissertation

Post by bronzefry » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Never a small thing to get a phd. Congrats, Nathan!
Amanda

Silurus
Expert

Revision of Loricaria

Post by Silurus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 am

Thomas, MR, 2011. Systematic revision of the South American armored catfish genus Loricaria (Siluriformes: Loricariidae). Unpublished PhD dissertation, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.

Abstract

The genus Loricaria Linnaeus of the family Loricariidae is diagnosed as a monophyletic group based on two uniquely derived synapomorphies: lower lip surfaces covered with filiform papillae and absence of buccal papillae surrounding the dentary teeth. Loricaria are small to moderate-sized catfishes widely distributed throughout most of the major river drainages of cis-Andean South America, including the Amazon, Orinoco, Paraguay, Paraná, and smaller coastal rivers draining the Guyana and Brazilian Shields. Based on multivariate analyses of morphometric and meristic data in combination with qualitative assessment of external morphological characters, 15 nominal species are accepted as valid, with an additional nine described as new. Among the nominal species, L. lentiginosa is synonymized with L. prolixa. Loricaria carinata is resurrected from synonymy with L. cataphracta and L. simillima is treated as a junior synonym of L. carinata. Formal diagnoses, descriptions, and a key to all 24 species are provided. Phylogenetic analyses of Loricaria and related taxa (Spatuloricaria, Crossoloricaria, Planiloricaria, Brochiloricaria, Paraloricaria, and Ricola) based on a combined data set of 32 gap-coded quantitative (morphometric and meristic) characters and 24 qualitative characters derived from external morphology resulted in fully resolved, but poorly supported phylogenies under equal weights and implied weighting criteria. Implied weights analyses using a concavity constant (K) of 24-49 recovered Loricaria as a monophyletic group with L. piracicabae as basal and sister to six terminal clades containing all other species. Species originally described as Loricaria, but subsequently transferred to Brochiloricaria, Paraloricaria, and Ricola, were recovered as paraphyletic in each analysis and should be treated as congeneric with Loricaria. Distributions of Loricaria exhibit patterns of endemism similar to those documented for other groups of Neotropical fishes. Species diversity is highest in the Amazon basin (13 species, including 10 endemics), followed by the Paraguay region (5 species, including 4 endemics), Guianas region (5 species, including 2 endemics), Orinoco basin (3 species, including 2 endemics), and a single species occurring in both the São Francisco basin and drainages of Northeastern Brazil. Loricaria is apparently absent from coastal Atlantic drainages south of the São Francisco basin. Such shared patterns of endemism provide some insight into past geomorphological processes that have influenced diversification in Loricaria and serves as a foundation for further tests of biogeographic hypotheses based on phylogenetic and geological evidence.

Silurus
Expert

Re: Revision of Loricaria

Post by Silurus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:56 am

(Hardly) More info here.

Since this is an unpublished dissertation, the taxonomic decisions are not considered validly published.

Silurus
Expert

Evolutionary ecology of venomous catfishes

Post by Silurus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Jeremy Wright has successfully defended his PhD dissertation [The evolutionary ecology of venomous catfishes, with a focus on members of the North American family Ictaluridae (Teleostei: Siluriformes)], which can be downloaded here.

racoll

Re: Evolutionary ecology of venomous catfishes

Post by racoll » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Well done Jeremy (if you're still a registered member here)!

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 26
My cats species list: 64 (i:33, k:38)
My aquaria list: 27 (i:11)
My BLogs: 17 (i:60, p:851)
My Wishlist: 24
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Adaptive radiation of Claroteine and Synodontis catfishes in Lake Tanganyika

Post by bekateen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 am

Peart, CR; (2015) Detecting a signature of adaptive radiation: diversification in Lake Tanganyika catfishes. Doctoral thesis, UCL (University College London).
ABSTRACT
This thesis compares two independent radiations of catfish in Lake Tanganyika, Claroteine and Synodontis catfishes, to investigate generalities in patterns and processes of diversification between radiations in an ancient “island-like” environment. The introductory chapter places this work in a theoretical context and explores previous research on taxa from Lake Tanganyika. Chapter two provides the first molecular phylogeny of species in the sub-family Claroteinae from Lake Tanganyika, including additional putative species of the genus Phyllonemus. This phylogeny is fossil calibrated to assess when diversification occurred and molecular species delimitation is also performed. Chapter three investigates geographic structure in one species from each radiation, Lophiobagrus cyclurus (from the Claroteine radiation) and Synodontis multipunctatus. Each species was sampled from multiple localities along the length of Lake Tanganyika and their DNA sequenced using restriction site associated (RAD) sequencing to produce large genomic datasets. These datasets allow the comparison of geographic patterns between taxa and, in the Lophiobagrus dataset (which also includes the closely related species L. aquilus), an investigation into the extent of introgression. Chapter four investigates niche partitioning and morphological diversification in both the claroteine and Synodontis radiations. These analyses are conducted using a single dated molecular phylogeny containing both of the radiations allowing explicit comparisons. Eco-morphological divergence is assessed using both morphological measurements thought to be ecologically relevant (e.g., size of the eye) and stable isotope ratios of both nitrogen and carbon as a proxy for niche space. While the first three chapters investigate generalities in the patterns and drivers of diversification by comparing two independent radiations in the same “island-like” environment, Chapter fives takes a different approach by placing one of the Lake Tanganyika radiations, Synodontis, in its broader phylogenetic context. In this chapter morphological diversification is investigated in the largely riverine continental radiation of Synodontis found throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
This dissertation is not yet available freely.

Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:28)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Re: Adaptive radiation of Claroteine and Synodontis catfishes in Lake Tanganyika

Post by Richard B » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:41 pm

March 2017 :(
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 26
My cats species list: 64 (i:33, k:38)
My aquaria list: 27 (i:11)
My BLogs: 17 (i:60, p:851)
My Wishlist: 24
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Diet/feeding morphology correlation in Loricariidae

Post by bekateen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:28 am

Stéphanie L. Lefebvre. 2014. Is Diet Correlated with Feeding Morphology in Neotropical Suckermouth Armoured Catfishes (Siluriformes: Loricariidae)? Masters Thesis, University of Toronto
ABSTRACT
The suckermouth armoured catfishes (Siluriformes: Loricariidae) are a diverse group of predominantly detritivorous fishes inhabiting rivers of South and Central America. Their distinct jaws are specialized for scraping a wide range of substrate. Though it is hypothesized that specialization of loricariid feeding morphology may have played a role in their diversification, little is known about the ecological and evolutionary processes involved. The present study quantifies variation in jaw functional traits and body morphology in a phylogenetic context. Morphological variation was compared to species’ relative position in assemblage isotope space (for both δ13C and δ15N) to test for correlations between diet and feeding morphology. Results show that although jaw functional traits are decoupled from body morphology, both are correlated with δ13C values. Partitioning of terrestrial and aquatic resources can be explained by both jaw functional traits and body morphology, however further partitioning of diet is only attributed to the former.