New Trichomycterus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Trichomycterus

Post by Silurus »

García-Melo, LJ, FA Villa-Navarro, C Donascimiento, 2016. A new species of Trichomycterus (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) from the upper río Magdalena basin, Colombia. Zootaxa 4117: 226–240.

Abstract

Trichomycterus tetuanensis, new species, is described from the río Tetuan, upper río Magdalena basin in Colombia. The new species is distinguished by its margin of caudal fin conspicuously emarginate, in combination with a high number of opercular odontodes (21–39), reflected externally in the large size of the opercular patch of odontodes, 3 irregular rows of conic teeth in the upper jaw, 42–52 interopercular odontodes, 8 branchiostegal rays, 37 post Weberian vertebrae, 7 branched pectoral-fin rays, hypural 3 separated from hypural plate 4+5, and background coloration light brown with darker dots uniformly sparse on dorsum and sides of trunk. Some apomorphic characters informative for the phylogenetic affinities of the new species within Trichomycterus are discussed.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”