Karyotypes of three species of Corydoras

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Karyotypes of three species of Corydoras

Post by lfinley58 »

Karyotype analysis of three species of Corydoras (Siluriformes: Callichthyidae) from southern Brazil: rearranged karyotypes and cytotaxonomy by Patrícia Barbosa, Marcela B. Pucci, Viviane Nogaroto, Mara C. Almeida, Roberto F. Artoni and Marcelo R. Vicari.

Neotropical Ichthyology, Vol.15, No.1, 2017 Epub Apr 03, 2017 (PDF to follow).

Abstract
The genus Corydoras comprises a diversity of species with different diploid numbers. We compared cytogenetic data among Corydoras species from different rivers of the Ponta Grossa Arch region in southern Brazil. Corydoras ehrhardti and C. aff. paleatus have a similar karyotype formula and the same diploid number (2n = 44). Corydoras lacrimostigmata has a higher diploid number, with 2n = 58 chromosomes. Fluorescence in situ hybridization using 5S and 18S ribosomal DNA probes suggests that these ribosomal DNA sequences are involved in chromosomal rearrangements in these Corydoras species. 5S rDNA is a chromosomal marker that is considered to be unique to the species analyzed in this study. Signals of interstitial telomeric sites are seen in a chromosome pair of C. lacrimostigmata, suggesting chromosomal rearrangements via fusions or translocations. This study revealed that C. ehrhardti and C. aff. paleatus have exclusive chromosomal markers associated with chromosome differentiation, which we speculate to prevent genetic introgression.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... so&tlng=en

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”