Discussion of new species of Ituglanis

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Discussion of new species of Ituglanis

Post by bekateen »

Abstract link: http://www.lume.ufrgs.br/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1

Poster link: http://www.lume.ufrgs.br/bitstream/hand ... sequence=2

TRANSLATED BY GOOGLE:

Laura M. Donin, Juliano Ferrer and Luiz R. Malabarba. 2016. Description of a new species of the genus Ituglanis Costa & Bockmann, 1993 (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) from the Uruguay river basin. Poster presented at: Salão UFRGS 2016: SIC - XXVIII SALÃO DE INICIAÇÃO CIENTÍFICA DA UFRGS. http://hdl.handle.net/10183/153826
ABSTRACT
Trichomycteridae is a family with great diversity within the Siluriformes, presenting 285 valid species. The genus Ituglanis is the second most specious of the family, containing 25 valid species. The genus was proposed to include a group of species previously allocated to Trichomycterus, sharing the following synapomorphies: Bone with a deep concavity in its medial margin, anterior portion of the sphenotic bone directed anteriorly, and reduced fontanelle to a single orifice rounded in the supraoccipital bone.

In the drainage of the extreme south of Brazil (Araranguá, Uruguay, Mampituba, Tramandaí and Patos lagoon systems, SLP) are recognized four species of Ituglanis, two of them are formally described: Ituglanis australis and Ituglanis boitee. Based on recent work and analysis to date, we have identified a new species for the drainage of the extreme south of Brazil, easily distinguishable from its congeners, both in morphological and molecular analyzes. Therefore, the objective of the present study is to describe a new species of the genus Ituglanis from the river basin Uruguay.

Specimens were measured point to point and a specimen diaphanized for observation of bones and cartilage. 25 measurements were taken with digital caliper and counts of the pectoral, pelvic, dorsal, anal and caudal fin rays. With the aid of a stereomicroscope the system of laterosensory channels and associated pores were examined. For statistical analysis, Excel and Past programs were used. Besides that, a clear camera was used for illustrations of diagnostic bone structures. The material examined was from the following institutions: MCN, Museum of Natural Sciences, Foundation Zoobotânica of Rio Grande do Sul; MCP, Pontifical Museum of Science and Technology Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul; MZUEL, Museum of Zoology, University State of Londrina; UFRGS, Department of Zoology, Federal University of Rio Great Southern.

The new species is distinguished from its congeners, except from I. parkoi, I. ina, I. macunaima, I. amazonicus, I. apteryx, I. gracilior and I. nebulosus, by the small number of ribs (2-3 pairs vs. more than 5 pairs). The new species differs from these by characters osteological, measurements, and, mainly, the staining pattern. In addition, the new other relevant traits at the generic level in Trichomycteridae, such as the presence of a process in the distal portion of the anterior margin in hipobranchial 1, evolved independently in some few species of the family.
ORIGINAL TEXT:

Laura M. Donin, Juliano Ferrer e Luiz R. Malabarba. 2016. Descrição de uma nova espécie do gênero Ituglanis Costa & Bockmann, 1993 (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae) da bacia do rio Uruguai. Salão UFRGS 2016: SIC - XXVIII SALÃO DE INICIAÇÃO CIENTÍFICA DA UFRGS. http://hdl.handle.net/10183/153826

RESUMO
Trichomycteridae é uma família com grande diversidade dentro dos Siluriformes,
apresentando 285 espécies válidas. O gênero Ituglanis é o segundo mais especioso da família,
contendo 25 espécies válidas. O gênero foi proposto para incluir um grupo de espécies
anteriormente alocadas em Trichomycterus, compartilhando das seguintes sinapomorfias:
osso autopalatino com uma profunda concavidade na sua margem medial, porção anterior do
osso esfenótico direcionada anteriormente e fontanela reduzida a um único orifício
arredondado situado no osso supraoccipital.

Nas drenagens do extremo sul do Brasil (bacias dos rios Araranguá, Uruguai,
Mampituba, Tramandaí e sistemas da laguna dos Patos, SLP) são reconhecidas quatro
espécies de Ituglanis, duas delas estão formalmente descritas: Ituglanis australis e Ituglanis
boitata. Com base em trabalhos recentes e análises até o momento, identificamos uma nova
espécie para as drenagens do extremo sul do Brasil, facilmente distinguível de seus
congêneres, tanto em análises morfológicas quanto moleculares. Sendo assim, o objetivo do
presente estudo é descrever uma nova espécie do gênero Ituglanis provinda da bacia do rio
Uruguai.

Espécimes foram mensurados ponto a ponto e um exemplar diafanizado para a
observação de ossos e cartilagens. Foram tomadas 25 medidas com paquímetro digital e
efetuadas contagens dos raios das nadadeiras peitorais, pélvicas, dorsal, anal e caudal. Com
auxílio de estereomicroscópio foi examinado o sistema de canais látero-sensoriais e poros
associados. Para análise estatística foram utilizados os programas Excel e Past. Além disso,
utilizou-se câmara clara para ilustrações de estruturas ósseas diagnósticas. O material
examinado pertence às seguintes instituições: MCN, Museu de Ciências Naturais, Fundação
Zoobotânica do Rio Grande do Sul; MCP, Museu de Ciências e Tecnologia da Pontifícia
Universidade Católica do Rio Grande do Sul; MZUEL, Museu de Zoologia, Universidade
Estadual de Londrina; UFRGS, Departamento de Zoologia, Universidade Federal do Rio
Grande do Sul.

A nova espécie distingue-se dos seus congêneres, exceto de I. parkoi, I. ina, I.
macunaima, I. amazonicus, I. apteryx, I. gracilior e I. nebulosus, pelo reduzido número de
costelas (2-3 pares vs. mais de 5 pares). A nova espécie diferencia-se destas por caracteres
osteológicos, medições, e, principalmente, pelo padrão de coloração. Além disso, a nova
espécie apresenta outros caracteres relevantes a nível genérico em Trichomycteridae, tal como
a presença de um processo na porção distal da margem anterior no hipobranchial 1, evoluído
independentemente em algumas poucas espécies da família.
Last edited by bekateen on 12 Apr 2017, 18:18, edited 3 times in total.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: New species of Ituglanis

Post by Bas Pels »

Opening the link I see the fishes are around 6 cm, and I autralis is also found in the south of Uruguay

As Ituglanis does resmble loaches somewhat - and IU both like loaches and fish from Uruguay I feel very sorry there is no shop to go to to order these
Last edited by Bas Pels on 12 Apr 2017, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
cats have whiskers
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

re new species of Ituglanis

Post by lfinley58 »

Hello,
I think that we have a bit of a problem here. In that the discussion hinges on an abstract and a poster presented at a scientific workshop in Brazil I feel (and to the best of my knowledge) that this does not constitute a formal description of a species. It appears that the improperly used "species" name in this post (ibicui), which is a river in southern Brazil, is only meant to be a locality marker.

The same authors (plus one additional) presented similar information at another workshop (Brazilian Ichthyology) earlier this year (link is below) and make note of three new species of southern Brazilian Ituglanis that they are working with including I. "ibicui". Strangely, the ibicui name therein is presented in italics - but it is placed in quotation marks. The use of the italics (for this and the two other catfishes) would appear to me to be typos in that they are only locality markers.

My suggestion would be to remove this post (though I did note that it has already been picked up by Google) awaiting the formal and proper description of the species.

Lee F.

http://www.ebi2017.com.br/anais/resumos/R0187-2.html
Last edited by lfinley58 on 12 Apr 2017, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Discussion of new species of Ituglanis

Post by bekateen »

lfinley58 wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 05:19My suggestion would be to remove this post (though I did note that it has already been picked up by Google) awaiting the formal and proper description of the species.
Lee, I see your concern. Is it necessary to delete the whole thread, or can the title be changed to be in line with the paper?

Not wanting to upset the apple cart more than necessary, I've already changed the title of the thread. However, I am unable to change the titles of the other members' posts in the thread.

Cheers, Eric
Last edited by bekateen on 12 Apr 2017, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Discussion of new species of Ituglanis

Post by Jools »

I normally resist deleting threads because we all forget what we said and then make the same (or similar) mistake again. Plus, this is the internet, once it's online it's hard to remove but easy to change.

I think this is science news, so we are in the right forum, however I agree with Lee in that this is not the publication of a new species. It is at best, a heads up. Suggest the title be changed to something along the lines of "Discussion of new species of "? Also, I would change anything in the first post that looks like a published abstract to be a proposed abstract?

Looks like this (or these) new species are a victim of how the internet makes information so quickly available. Thinking about it, if I was working through University in today's world, I reckon a fair bit of my research would leak out onto the web - perhaps the surprise is this doesn't happen more often. I would not have thought it was the authors intent to have this information construed as a new species description via such a haphazard route and that the timescale for formal publication is a hard to forecast length of time (given the paper is accepted).

Interesting one!

Jools
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Re: New species of Ituglanis

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all,

Well, at least I figured out how to change the subject line. For me that was my big computer learning for the day.

Jools, I am happy in following the lead that was suggested. It is a learning experience. Most of the "description" papers and/or posters that appear in the publications (hard copy and/or electronic) of such scientific meetings (workshops, annual meetings, etc.) do usually get published, but it is not always the case. I have to get in touch with someone regarding an abstract of interest that was published in 2009 and as of now nothing has been published.

If Bas Pels can change the heading on the submitted post we should be all set...I guess.

Lee F.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”