A new species of the catfish genus Cordylancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae)

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

A new species of the catfish genus Cordylancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae)

Post by lfinley58 »

Provenzano R., F., Milani, N., & Ardila R., C. 2017. A new species of the catfish genus Cordylancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae) from the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, Colombia. Zootaxa, Volume 4329, Number 3: 256-266.
Abstract:
As a part of an assessment of loricariid catfishes inhabiting the Andes of Colombia, specimens belonging to an interesting new species were identified. The new species is described herein, and it is tentatively included in the genus Cordylancistrus. The new species can be easily distinguished among its congeners by the presence of a unique diagnostic character: a fleshy keel or excrescence, black or dark brown, over the posterior tip of supraoccipital. Specimens of the new species were captured in rivers of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta and the Sierra de Perijá that drain to the Magdalena River Basin and Caribbean Sea. The occurrence of one species of Cordylancistrus in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta could have interesting biogeographic implications for hypotheses related to the geological history of northwestern corner of South America or to the dispersal or vicariance models used to explain biogeographical patterns of related species in Colombia.

https://biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/vie ... a.4329.3.4
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Re: A new species of the catfish genus Cordylancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae)

Post by lfinley58 »

Hi all.

The full species name for the new fish is Cordylancistrus tayrona. This was not published in the abstract, but I have just received a copy of the paper and am now able to add it herein.

Lee
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: A new species of the catfish genus Cordylancistrus (Siluriformes, Loricariidae)

Post by Jools »

Are you able to share a copy please Lee?

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”