Exostoma gaoligongense sp. nov. Sisoridae

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
lfinley58
Expert
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 3
My images: 3
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Margate
Location 2: Florida USA
Interests: Catfishes (all), Aquarium History

Exostoma gaoligongense sp. nov. Sisoridae

Post by lfinley58 »

Chen, XY. Poly, W.J., Catania, D. & Jiang, WS. 2017. A new species of sisorid catfish of the genus Exostoma from the Salween drainage, Yunnan, China. Zoological Research 38(5): 1-10.
Abstract:
A new species of the sisorid catfish genus Exostoma Blyth, 1860 was collected from two hill-stream tributaries of the Nujiang (Salween River) drainage in Gaoligong Mountain, south-western Yunnan Province, China from 2003 to 2006 and from two tributaries of the Salween River in Cangyuan County, Lingcang Prefecture, Yunnan Province, China (in 2007) and in Yongde County, Lingcang Prefecture, Yunnan Province, China (in 2015).  Exostoma gaoligongense sp. nov. is the 11th species of the genus and is most similar to E. vinciguerrae in morphology but can be distinguished by pelvic fin reaching anus vs. not reaching; maxillary barbels just reaching or slightly surpassing pectoral-fin origin vs. surpassing pectoral-fin origin or even reaching posterior end of gill membrane; abdominal vertebrae 22-25 vs. 25-27; length of dorsal fin 90.3%-287.0% dorsal to adipose distance vs. 59.2-85.7.  A key to Exostoma spp. is provided.

Open access at:
http://www.zoores.ac.cn/CN/10.24272/j.i ... 7.2017.065

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”