cross breeding

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: cross breeding

Post by racoll »

MatsP wrote:No way they will be "common and cheap" any time soon.
Until they hybridise them with Pterygoplichthys, or worse L066 or L333 :?
Suckermouth wrote:According to the Shane's World article on C. aeneus Peru Green, they are likely the same species as C. aeneus, and therefore it would be crossbreeding.
I would bet that C. aenus is complex of species, but in reality following on from what Mats was saying, I think breeding any fish that is of a different locality or phenotype would in my opinion be crossbreeding (as far as the hobby should be concerned).

:D
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Re: cross breeding

Post by Borbi »

Hi,
Until they hybridise them [...] with L066
that has already been "achieved" (sorry) and was one of the examples used by Rolo in his talk about hybridization in Hypancistrus, see the L-Numbers-Days-Thread. A picture of such a thing can be found here: http://www.l-welse.com/reviewpost/showp ... 28/cat/120.

According to our current knowledge (and collecting and systemizing that we owe to Rolo) any Hypancistrus "species", L-Number or variety can interbreed/hybridize with any other, producing fertile offspring. That´s a fact we will have to take great care about.

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain

Return to “Speak Easy”