Catfish Convention

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Bwhiskered
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Gardening

Catfish Convention

Post by Bwhiskered »

Who all is going to the Catfish Convention in Fairfax Virginia? Are you going just to enjoy yourself and pick up a few fish or are you going as a room seller? I hope to pick up some interesting corys and maybe a new and interesting tetra or two on the Shop Hop. It's the best convention going and I have not missed one yet.

Charlie
Good fish are spawned and raised in Burlington.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Re: Catfish Convention

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I as well have been to all of them and can't wait to go to this one. I am probably going to pick up some fish but I am also going to be selling some plecos. I am going on the shop hop as well and am looking forward to checking out Discus Hans facility and maybe pick up some Discus as well. See you all there! :D

-Trent
-Trent
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Julie and I will be there. She is planning to sell fish and I will probably bring a box of pleco fry, I'm sure. Don't miss it, if you can help it!

Barbie
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I have been to all of the conventions and look forward to seeing old friends. It is always a great time for all and shouldn't be missed.

Mark Soberman
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

corybreed wrote:I have been to all of the conventions and look forward to seeing old friends. It is always a great time for all and shouldn't be missed.

Mark Soberman
I have been to all of them as well and have talked to you on several occasions.

Charlie
sdm
Location 1: USA

Post by sdm »

I’m going to try to get there for the auction on Sunday, hopefully someone will be selling some interesting corydoras.

Could someone with experience describe the auction process for those of us who are new? Just some suggestions to help things go a little smoother.
PlecoCrazy

Post by PlecoCrazy »

If you want interesting cories then you'd better go to the convention instead of the auction. There might be some in the auction but odds are what you are looking for won't make it to the auction. It works just like any other auction except your bidding on a bag of fish instead of a tv or what not.
-Trent
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

I will be there, even going early just to get away for a few extra days...for me I am looking forward to the collecting trip and of course seeing everyone again.
Could someone with experience describe the auction process for those of us who are new? Just some suggestions to help things go a little smoother.
It is usually fairly simple and if you have a question don't be shy to ask someone there is usually quite a few people who have been through it before.

In preparation for the auction I usually take a preset amount of cash to spend, also have an idea before hand what it is you are actually after(and willing to spend for it) as it can be easy to get carried away for some...usually you go home with something unexpected anyway.

I think it is important to bring an insulated box (the kind LFS ship fish in) to put your purchases in as it is a long day for the fish and anything you can do to make it more comfortable the better, make sure your box is clearly labelled with your name.

Birger
Birger
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Can I read up on this anywhere? A webpage with a programme, address, registration, etc. essentials would be helpful? Do people sell big (1'-4') cats there at all?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Website is here:
http://catfish2010.com/

I don't think there will be many people there selling really big catfish. But I haven't been there, so I can't say for sure.

--
Mats
sdm

Post by sdm »

I wish I could make it Friday night (and Saturday), but there is no way. I'm still not 100% sure I can make it on Sunday.

Will the fish types be sold together, i.e. all the synos, then the cories, then the loracids etc.?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I don't know about this auction, but I have been to three auctions with two different organisers, and the lots are usually ordered by seller, so all lots from Seller A will be sold in order, then Seller B's lots are sold, then Seller C, etc, etc.

The two organizers are different in that one lets you view the fish (and other items) before the auction starts, the other doesn't - you may request to come up and see the fish before bidding, but most lots are sold based on the auctioneers description.

I agree with the previous comment as to "make sure you have a set amount of cash", and "you'll probably end up with something you hadn't planned on".

--
Mats
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Do people sell big (1'-4') cats there at all?
You never know what will show up at an auction but usually there are not too many of the big species such as what you (Victor) are after.
Will the fish types be sold together, i.e. all the synos, then the cories, then the loracids etc.?
The auctions I have been to everything is mixed up...sort of a random thing...some auctions will allow someone to bump an item for a buck or two though. This means if you pay a dollar or two they will put it next on the auction block but does not mean you will get the item...it still must be bid for.

Birger
Birger
dconnors
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Location 2: central michigan, USA

Post by dconnors »

This is my first catfish convention, I can't wait to meet all the great people there!
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

You never know what to expect from the room sellers. Many are hobbyist breeders and some are importers. The prices can vary as much as the fish themselves. I always find something that is different and interesting. Can't wait to check those rooms. The auction is always good and I always see something I want but the rooms surpass the auction for the chance of something different.
Andrew
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Ellicott City, Maryland

Post by Andrew »

The auction is quite simple. You register as a buyer and are given a number card. When an item comes up that you'd like to purchase, you hold up your card so that the auctioneer can see it. Hold it as long as you are willing to pay the price offered by the auctioneer. If the price gets too high, put the card down and someone else will buy the item. Or, hold it high until your buyer number is called and you'll go home with the item. At the end of the day you pay the event whatever the total of your purchases adds up to. There are opportunities to view the items for sale throughout the day, and you can pay a small fee to have an item moved to the front of the sales line if you need to leave before it comes up for sale.

Aquarium event auctions are inherently unpredictable. You often see things for amazing prices that you might not otherwise have considered buying. There will be catfish available, but also many other kinds of fish and plants. On the other hand as mentioned by a couple of folks here, many of the more exciting fish will be sold through the vendor areas and hotel rooms before the auction. Best buy here early (Friday) to make sure you get what you want. Or, if there's someone coming who is selling something you know that you want, you might consider making arrangements with that person to purchase before they offer it for general sale.

As for the non-commercial aspects of the convention, be ready to have fun, meet great people and learn a lot about catfishes! Most of our conventioneers are repeat visitors because they had such a great time at the last one they attended. Many folks have been to all three previous editions and will be back for the fourth. This convention attracts a very high quality crowd of attendees, in addition to the speakers, sellers, etc.
dconnors
My cats species list: 13 (i:2, k:0)
My Wishlist: 3
Location 2: central michigan, USA

Post by dconnors »

Since this thread is started, who all is going; and what, if any types of fish are you bringing to sell. :beardy:
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

I do hope that someone is bringing some super red bushynose to sell.
PlecoCrazy

Post by PlecoCrazy »

I'm bringing some L129, L260, and L333 to sell. All F1's.
-Trent
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Virginia

Post by James0816 »

I may not be able to make it myself now. Grrrr.

If any of you guys are, can you keep a look out for some Oto's for me? I'm looking for O. Flexilis and Mimulus. I'm sure that is going to be a big stretch but never hurts to check. Maybe some contacts for importing them may work too. I'm only an hour away from the convention.

Thx
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

I am bringing albino sterbai, ,, and maybe some .

Mark

[Mod edit: add CLOG tags for the more unusual species... --Mats]
longstocking
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Maryland
Location 2: Maryland
Interests: SCUBA

Post by longstocking »

I'll be there as always... wouldn't miss it! I'll be in Julie and Barbies room like usual.

Bringing L270, L333, ABN's.... and something not catfish. Petrochromis. sp red bulu point :)
Sarah
rhibear
My cats species list: 25 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Brit in Virginia USA

Post by rhibear »

I'll be coming for my very first fishy event. Sadly my black baby corys are still too wee for travel/sale. Still debating bringing the mom to show.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Once again I can not make it. However, I am sending down 5 F1 zebra plecs for sale/auction. The proceeds will be donated to PlanetCatfish.com and PlecoWorld.org. Barbie will be handling the sale details. Thanks Barb :thumbsup:
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
longstocking

Post by longstocking »

I do hope that someone is bringing some super red bushynose to sell.
Charlie,

I know there is a local guy that sells them... and a huge cat freak :) His name is Todd... I would be suprised if he didn't show up.
Sarah
verbal
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA, USA

Post by verbal »

longstocking wrote:I'll be there as always... wouldn't miss it! I'll be in Julie and Barbies room like usual.

Bringing L270, L333, ABN's.... and something not catfish. Petrochromis. sp red bulu point :)
What size are the L333?
Thank you for your support of the 2014 All-Aquarium Catfish Convention
http://catfishcon.com
Hope to see you in 2016
longstocking

Post by longstocking »

Honestly I'm not 100% as I need to tear apart the tank tomorrow morning. I know there at least three spawns in the tank. Probably ranging from 1 to 2 inches.
Sarah
sdm

Post by sdm »

Is anyone bringing any Corydoras reynoldsi?
fishboy20
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:68)
Location 2: Columbus
Interests: Cichlids, Catfish, Characins, Killifish

Post by fishboy20 »

I wish I could have been there but I did not have enough fish to offset the costs of coming out. I will be at the next one more then likely. Does anyone have any photos or even videos of the convention?

Jeremy
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

I took very few pictures this time (everyone else was!), but I had a fantastic visit with so many people that are such dear friends. The room just cleared out a few minutes ago and I am already looking forward to the next convention. Thank you all for the fantastic conversation and company yet again!

Barbie

Return to “Speak Easy”