Finally! The fishing season!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Re: Finally! The fishing season!

Post by bigamefish »

Thanks! I got to try out my new catfish/bigger fish setup! It consits of- Rod: Quantum energy pt 6'10" heavy action.
Reel: Daiwa millionaire classic 250 (soon going to be replaced with a shimano calcutta or abu garcia c3 or c4 series reel)
Mainline: Sufix 832 advanced super line 65lbs braid
It sure worked like a charm!
And for bait i used beef liver, an absolutly aweful smelling bait! :-BD but if you are after bullheads i have caught them on salted frozen minnows on a pickrel rig! But if you can get your hands on some fresh frogs you should be in for some fun! They work amazingly well! ( for me anyway) Good old hot dogs should work good too! Good luck and catch some good ones!!!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Big Channel Cat. I finally broke down and bought a spinning rod and reel up to the job of fishing our large rivers. They have plenty of Channel Cats, Small Mouth Bass and Steelhead in season. First spinning gear I have had since I was a kid.
Meanwhile I've been hitting the trout pond on the edge of town catching my limit(5) each trip using dry flies. I only have a couple weeks left before it turns hot and the fish go deep so I am making the most of it. Dry flies usually have limited use in still waters so I am enjoying it while it lasts. The fish are pan sized although I have caught a few brood stock they plant that are about 20 inches but not often.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

You're killing me, man. I haven't had a chance to go trout fishing this year yet. I NEED a reason to plug in my big freezer in my garage and a bunch of fresh-caught trout sounds like a good one. Oh yeah, welcome to the world of spinning reels. Feels funny to say to a fly-fisherman. :d

BTW, if anyone has plans for catching and keeping black crappie in an aquarium, be prepared to supply a lot of live food. So far, the specimens I have refuse to eat freeze dried or frozen food--they bite at it when it first hits the water, but then they quickly lose interest.

Thankfully, a pet store close to work carries fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Those crappies will take them out of my hand if I hold them an inch above the water. Very voracious feeders. However, their social behavior reminds me of Uarus... they get big, but they like to hang out in schools of their own kind. And so much for that.
bigamefish
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

Hey is anybody gonna be in minnesota in the 2nd week of july? Im going fishing for 5 days in the brainerd area! I would be delighted to fish with another fishing fanatic/planetcatfisher. Just thought i`d ask!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

I finally got out for four hours of trout fishing on the Rockaway River this morning and... nothing. My friend caught a couple sunnies and a couple chub. We saw a few trout, but they were not biting on anything. My friend told me that, a month ago, they were biting like crazy. Oh well. We're going to try a different river soon and see if our luck is any different somewhere else. Of course, the other rivers that are nearby have a good amount of polution and I don't think I'll be keeping any trout caught in them. b-)
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

It will be about a month before the trout rivers in my area drop to fishable levels.Even then the water will still be pretty high which can make access difficult to the best places. It may have been a mild winter but our mountains received a normal snow pack unlike many other areas so it is just a typical year. I like to fish wet wading when it is hot. So it is now becoming a bit warm for good lowland lake fishing and still too soon for rivers.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Well i`m off to Brainerd Minnesota tomorrow! Can`t wait for the fishing! If we have internet connection i will post any pictures of fish that i catch!

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Well im back! Miss me? b-)

I caught many fish! And had a brillant time! I do love catching fish that i can`t get around here.
I could use some IDs on all the sunfish excluding the bluegill and of course bass! Here are the pics!
Attachments
IMG_0357.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

more
Attachments
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

and more
Attachments
IMG_0373.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

And more
Attachments
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0375.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

They aren`t in order, my computer messed them up.
Attachments
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

just a little more!
Attachments
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Attachments
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Last one
Attachments
IMG_0394.JPG

Ted Hughes
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

you have a couple of rock bass in there (Ambloplites rupestris or Ambloplites constellatus)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_bass

and the sunfish with the yellowish fins with the cream-colored border are green sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_sunfish

and maybe a warmouth too-- (Lepomis gulcosus)

JS
jp11biod
I've donated: $372.00!
My cats species list: 36 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: NW Indiana

Post by jp11biod »

what I thought were green sunfish may be pumpkinseeds too

and many of the sunfish hybridize pretty readily

JS
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Thanks js! I knew about the rock bass but not about the others! I had no idea about what the others were!

Ted Hughes
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Well im going to stay in gimli and fish on lake winnipeg for the weekend! So i`ll see how that works and i`ll put some pics up! The lake treated me pretty nicely last year so im crossing my fingers its a good fishing weekend this time too!

Ted Hughes
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

Last night, I caught the biggest bass I've hooked this summer. I had to tighten the drag on my reel just to get the fish in--another first for this summer. It had already gotten dark and it was hard to get a good picture of it next to my water bottle (for reference). The water bottle, including the spigot, is 9.5" tall. The fish must have weighed at least 2 lbs. I didn't have a scale in my tackle box. Gotta get one of those if I plan on going back to that lake. b-)

Here are a few shots of it: Micropterus salmoides
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Hey awesome bass! :-BD I still need to upload some pictures from gimli! I`ll do that as soon as i get home. I`ve been way too busy this summer thats why i haven`t been on pc too much this summer.

Ted Hughes
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

The weather is warming up here, and that means the fishing is back on for me.
I'll try to get some pics of my set up but here is what I am after this summer:

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/app/we ... 1210_1.jpg

Had to pinch a pic as works dvd drives are all disabled.
I am aiming to beat my Pb of 107cm (just a freckle over 42 inches for the non-metric).
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

I've been doing quite a bit of fishing in the Musconetcong River in NJ. There are a ton of trout, but they're not biting--it's been a hot, dry summer and they've kept to the bottom. I've caught a bunch of smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu) there--need to take some pics tomorrow, if the weather is good. They put up a better fight than largemouth bass, IMO.

It's starting to cool down a little and I suspect the trout will begin hitting lures again in a month or so, if it keeps getting cool at night. BTW, my office is minutes away from the Hackettstown Hatchery. It's fun to walk along the holding ponds and see schools of brook trout going full speed for some dragonflies on the surface. Very powerful fish. Can't wait to hook one... or one of their salmonid cousins.

Apistomaster, if you've got any general tips for rainbows, brookies, and brown trout, I'd be glad to hear them. I'm going to be using a Pflueger President 5'6" graphite pole and lightweight spinning reel combo with 4lb. monofilament line. I've got some Joe's Flies trout fly lures that the smallmouth bass sure like to hit. Last time I went, I went three for three for turning casts into catches. The flies I have are in different colors, but pretty much look like this:
Just gotta keep an eye out for those bears! :-O
Scleropages

Post by Scleropages »

I did some fishing in my friend's lake in rural Connecticut this past weekend. Who wants tom yum talay?

My friend's 6-year-old son hooked this one:
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Got round to getting a rod in the water, and look what I caught! Not the best photos in the world, and the fish was a relative tiddler (18 lb 8 oz), but nice nonetheless.
Image0084.jpg
Image0086.jpg
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Is this a wels?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Hey! Sorry I've been kinda dormant lately! Schools starting and things have been way too hectic! Anyway, nice too see you join racoll!!!

Ive been putting off putting up my fishing pics of the summer so as soon as the school routine gets going I should be rejoining and being active again!

Ted Hughes
ElTofi
My articles: 3
My images: 47
My cats species list: 33 (i:13, k:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:0, p:373)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Châtel St Denis
Location 2: Switzerland

Post by ElTofi »

Hello,

nice topic... I have plenty of picture to show you from my "swiss alpine rivers", basically with Salmo trutta fario aka "native european trout"... but unfortunately, every "vertical iPhone shot" picture I do have is too high or too wide for the forum...

as I'm at my job (ouuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh [-( ), I'm not gonna take time to reduce these pictures now... but if interest, I'll take time tonight...

I'll be back...
the Potamotrygon adventure has begun...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Is this a wels?
Sure is. Good old . Quite common in Britain now.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Yeah. I have seen a few wels tackle records claimed on the news and i-net in the past years and they are all from the UK. Strange... but says something :)
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”