Archerfish recognize human faces

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Archerfish recognize human faces

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Re: Archerfish recognize human faces

Post by Scleropages »

Thanks for sharing, Viktor. I have a school of Toxotes blythii in my 55gal tank and it sure seems like they can recognize me. I am the only person in my family who feeds them and they certainly react differently if I walk into the room as opposed to if my wife or daughter walk in.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I've read somewhere that everyone's weight, gait, etc. differs and produces different vibrations in the ground / floor when people are walking, which can be recognized by fish.

In this experiment, clearly there was no vibration, only visual.

*************************************************************************************************
Attachments
cartoon7237.png
cartoon7237.png (51.64 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Sister article on MFK with interesting feedback: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... es.669545/
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

In my experience some species of catfish can easily recognize faces as well, reacting quite differently between myself or other people approaching their tank whether at feeding time or not. In addition they can more closely determine human I.D. by virtue of their acute sense of smell and taste when a hand is placed in front of them in a similar fashion to a dog that can tell friend from stranger. With interactive catfish such as pimelodid's it becomes apparent their keen ability to recognize one person from another with their maxillary barbels. The most extreme example was a large leiarius pictus I kept. When opening the tank lid it would come up to the surface with it's very long barbels above the surface to find what's on the menu and be hand fed at times. Placing my hand so the fish could taste it, it would circle around and come back waiting to be fed, if it was me. If it was anyone else's hand it would immediately bolt to the far end of the tank and hide, an experiment with the same results repeated many times. I've had similar reactions from red tail and giraffe cats as well..
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Neo
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:11, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:6)
My BLogs: 2 (i:1, p:41)
Location 1: Near Stirling in Scotland
Location 2: Stirling, Scotland
Interests: cars, martial arts, fish, guitar etc

Post by Neo »

I swear my L046 Zebras know me and are ok with just me around, when others are near they hide. Either that or they see me as the "feeder" and know it's time for food lol
Lots of L046 Zebra Pleco's, L129, L199, Some cory's, some shrimps, cardinals, glass cats etc
http://zebrapleco.net

Return to “Speak Easy”