Holding My Breath- May Have 173 Eggs

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Holding My Breath- May Have 173 Eggs

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I did not want to post this in the Pleco forum because it is is far from a done deal. However, I did a quick look into the caves in the WC L173 tank (these are the fish on loan to me). To my complete delight I spotted what looked like a white egg. Since this is a terracotta cave, it could only be an egg. I am a bit put off that it was white, but the dad would not let me see much and he was acting dadish.

So a couple of thing may be possible here. I may have a viable spawn with an unfertile egg or I may have an infertile spawn as its the first one. Either way I am a happy camper.

Once again I would have to credit the feeding of the Repashy. These guys have been getting the Spawn and Grow, the fruut-Luups and my 3-1 blend of Meat and Soilent. Over the past week my box came from Repashy and I had also batched the Invertivore mix (Bottom Scratcher).

I will keep this updated by either reporting failure or else by starting another thread in the pleco section and linking to it from this thread.
Last edited by TwoTankAmin on 05 Feb 2017, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Hilding My Breath- May have 173 Eggs

Post by bekateen »

Congratulations and good luck, TTA. :-)
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin

Re: Holding My Breath- May Have 173 Eggs

Post by TwoTankAmin »

L173 is a bigger bulkier fish than zebras or 236. However, I have always put an assortment of caves into pleco breeding tanks. Yhey vary in both shape and size. So of course many dads pick the smallest cave making it difficult to see what they are hiding in the back. Of course in this case trhis is exactly the situation. He will not let me see what he is hiding. But he is doing the bump-bounce-boogie, so I am certain he is on eggs. The only question is if they are viable or not. If he keeps up this behavior much longer I would have to assume there is at least one viable egg.

These fish were sent to me in November 2015. I have been trying to get them going since they settled in. Since I made a change in feeding which included starting to use an assortment of Repashy foods things have been happening in tanks. There have been multiple spawns from the contradens, the L450s, and the L236s. I had one from the zebras and may have a dad on another. Now add the possible L173 spawn and it seems as if the change in diet has to be responsible,

So I am again sending out a big thank you to Dale Ernst and Ingo Seidel for their advice and also to Allen Repashy and Stephan Tanner for their amazing foods and suggestions regarding it.

THANK YOU
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Congrats. Looks like that food really works well for you :)

Did you notice your females getting fatter/rounder, prior to all these spawns lately? Would like to know if the feeding started to make them gravid again or if they have been pretty much ready all the time but were not motivated to get it going etc.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I can now confirm there is a spawn. This thread will now continue here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44743

Return to “Speak Easy”