Driftwood Bonanza

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Driftwood Bonanza

Post by Jools »

Steven, I am sure it will be fine, many fish will eat the "fungus"; in fact they relish it. What sort of fish are you going to have with the wood?

Jools
EdWalker
Location 1: Arlington
Location 2: Virginia

Post by EdWalker »

I have 4 plecos in my 55 gallon. 1 albino bristlenose, 1 bristlenose, 1 rubber lip, and 1 clown pleco :)

There are also 6 corydoras, 2 SA bumblebees, 3 pictus, and a striped raphael.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Those plecos will thank you for that unsterilised wood. Post pics!

Jools
EdWalker
Location 1: Arlington

Post by EdWalker »

Okay, I dropped the pieces that in last night and the Albino immediately had to go check them out. When I got up this morning the regular bristlenose was giving them a try. The rubber lip is still doing his regular "whatever, leave me alone" thing and the clown is chilling, as he always does, underneath the piece of mopani I tossed in there a month or two back. The cories like the new wood as well.

I'll give them all a few days to check these pieces out and then I'll post some good pics up of them :) Thanks for all of your help!
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have used a lot of cyprus. Its quite soft and in 10 yeras it will be gone. It needs to be weighted to stay down until it waterlogs well and even after with many pieces. But it sure looks pretty.
Image Image
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

TwoTankAmin wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 21:53 I have... a lot of cyprus... it sure looks pretty.
Wow, that really does look cool!

I have a few "unknown" pieces of driftwood (literally driftwood, collected along the Washington oceanic coast) that have not sunk in over a year of floating in the tank. None-the-less, the plecos ( and are the only plecos in the tank) are eating it, and it is slowly getting whittled down, although still floating.

My most beautiful wood is Manzanita. It's not "driftwood" per se, it's just "wood"... (I have wild {natural, not planted} Manzanita trees growing on my property so I can harvest wood whenever I please)...When my s and L397 do their thing, chewing on the surface, it brings out amazing grain. But it doesn't form grooves like your wood does, TTA... I imagine that's because the Manzanita wood is so dense. Oh, I guess we can't have it both ways. =((

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons

Post by Shane »

Nearly all "driftwood" sold commercially has never been in the water. Mopani grows in dry climates in southern Africa and its density is actually a defense against termites.

Manzanita costs a fortune out here on the east coast. Amazes me as in my youth we burned it in massive amounts in California when we would clear a pasture.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Speak Easy”