A complex wrinkle to nitrates in aquarium water. Nothing is ever simple.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

A complex wrinkle to nitrates in aquarium water. Nothing is ever simple.

Post by bekateen »

Hi All,

I came upon this new paper on the effects of nitrates and other nitrogen products on health and reproduction. Certainly, it is not advocating we stop water changes. But the inconsistent experiences some of us have had (e.g., fish spawning in spite of higher than acceptable nitrate levels) may be partially attributable to this phenomenon.

Edwards, T. M., & Hamlin, H. J. (2018). Reproductive Endocrinology of Environmental Nitrate. General and Comparative Endocrinology. Https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2018.03.021
Highlights
  • Exogenous nitrate contributes to endogenous production of nitrite and nitric oxide.
  • Nitrate, nitrite, and nitric oxide can both stimulate and inhibit steroidogenesis.
  • Hypoxia, dose, duration, and reproductive stage of study animals affect results.
  • Nitrate pharmacology likely follows a non-monotonic dose response curve.
  • Studies of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) pathways exclude nitrate as an NO source.
ABSTRACT
Nitrate is a widespread contaminant of aquatic ecosystems and drinking water. It is also broadly active in organismal physiology, and as such, has the potential to both enhance and disrupt normal physiological function. In animals, nitrate is a proposed endocrine disrupter that is converted in vivo to nitrite and nitric oxide. Nitric oxide, in particular, is a potent cell signaling molecule that participates in diverse biological pathways and events. Here, we review in vivo nitrate cycling and downstream mechanistic physiology, with an emphasis on reproductive outcomes. However, in many cases, the research produces contradictory results, in part because there is good evidence that nitrate follows a non-monotonic dose-response curve. This conundrum highlights an array of opportunities for scientists from different fields to collaborate for a full understanding of nitrate physiology. Opposing conclusions are especially likely when in vivo/in vitro, long term/short term, high dose/low dose, or hypoxia/normoxia studies are compared. We conclude that in vivo studies are most appropriate for testing an organism’s integrated endocrine response to nitrate. Based on the limited available studies, there is a generalized trend that shorter term studies (less than 1 month) or studies involving low doses (≤5 mg/L NO3-N) cause steroid hormone levels to decline. Studies that last more than a month and/or involve higher, but still environmentally relevant, exposures (>50–100 mg/L NO3-N) cause steroid hormone levels to increase. Very high nitrate doses (>500 mg/L NO3-N) are cytotoxic in many species. Hypoxia and acidity are likely to intensify the effects of nitrate. For study design, degree of study animal reproductive maturity or activity is important, with immature/reproductively quiescent animals responding to nitrate differently, compared with reproductively active animals. A detailed table of studies is presented.
Attachments
"Graphical abstract"
"Graphical abstract"
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: A complex wrinkle to nitrates in aquarium water. Nothing is ever simple.

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have had a long standing interest in cycling related issues. A part of this was learning about the effects and toxicity of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate on/to fish. I was able to find a lot of studies on ammonia. I was also able to find a decent amount of information on nitrite as well. But when it came to nitrate, it was much harder.

What I did discover was that nitrate is a bit more dangerous than most of us realized. But finding extensive information relating to species and nitrate levels was difficult. However, my concern was more with harming or killing fish than anything else.

I wish I could read the full study above.

As an aside, a planted tank or a Mattenfilter will go a long way to controlling nitrate. The Matten takes a while to reach the point where it can help noticeably with nitrate.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

I'm rarely ever on the site anymore, but just want to point out a couple of things before I get back to work. First, what they're describing (on the surface at least) is just a description of the dry season. The bigger point is that they're going to have to look a lot deeper than just nitrogen to figure out how to define the effects. There are multiple chemicals in municipal water supplies and natural environments which block the pathways which stimulate the production of gametes. I'm not saying it's impossible to quantify these, but in order to do so the researchers are going to have to come up with a way of managing specific values of everything in solution.

While the information is scientifically important, and interesting, as hobbyists the goal is still to maintain a balanced ecosystem. I honestly expect any reasonable studies which cite this article in the future to claim equilibrium prior to a slow increase in nitrate (and only nitrate) to be the trigger for steroid release. The native habitat of the test species is also going to be relevant because not all species experience the same range of change during the normal annual cycle. While 50 mg/L may be acceptable for most species, it's a death sentence for others (even if slowly increased).

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

pleco_breeder wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 12:13First, what they're describing (on the surface at least) is just a description of the dry season.

While the information is scientifically important, and interesting, as hobbyists the goal is still to maintain a balanced ecosystem... The native habitat of the test species is also going to be relevant because not all species experience the same range of change during the normal annual cycle. While 50 mg/L may be acceptable for most species, it's a death sentence for others (even if slowly increased).
I thought the same things. Even the paper states that high levels are toxic. If you think about it for a moment, once you acknowledge that, you've let the "how high is too high?" Genie out of the bottle. So that requires looking at individual species to assess their max safe limits.

And of course, this paper is a review article, not an original research paper. The authors have combined ideas that are both directly related and peripherally relevant to to the subject in order to establish their ideas.

The best part of this paper, in my opinion, is that it could be used (and hopefully does get used) to stimulate more research on just the kinds of factors you mention, to establish things like what's the difference between a healthy dry season and a toxic dirty tank? I doubt many scientists will go farther to examine the fish with low tolerances for this, but it would be interesting.
pleco_breeder wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 12:13 I'm rarely ever on the site anymore,
In that case, thanks for taking the time to post your comment :-).

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.

Return to “Speak Easy”