2 10 inch Dwarf Giraffe cats for sale

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
TheCichlidKid15
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Westchester, NY

Re: 2 10 inch Dwarf Giraffe cats for sale

Post by TheCichlidKid15 »

I have Wednesday off, I forgot Sundays there is no mail, i can ship out Wednesday, this way I won't feed cats for 48 hours prior to shipping, safer that way anyway. Ill get shipping price later today or tomorrow morning.
RD JR
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

They are very robust fish, thus, I'd fast them for 4 days at a minimum, better a week due to their already considerable size. Do you have a PayPal account? That'd be very easy and free of charge to pay with.

I assume you will be quoting a 1-day / overnight shipping. If you can do airport-to-airport, I could pick them up in Ft. Myers.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TheCichlidKid15

raydjr15@aol.com is my paypal, i will get quote tomorrow, i will ask about sending to Ft. Myers airport, thanks.
RD JR
yellowcat
I've donated: $105.00!
My images: 74
My cats species list: 38 (i:36, k:15)
Spotted: 40
Location 1: Los Angeles
Interests: auchenoglaninae, pimelodidae, pseudopimelodidae, doradidae

Post by yellowcat »

Viktor asked me to chime in on this so here's my input: Well I can say that the photo's show that these fish are definitely the 'bouche' variety of a. occidentals, I obtained mine from Rehoboth Aquatics, the first to import them I believe and I raised and sold a pair years ago when they grew past 15", the second owner sold them again when they reached around 24" and were reported to continue to grow larger after. The term "dwarf giraffe catfish" usually is given to parauchenoglanis species. Within the genus auchenoglanis, two varieties have been reported to remain smaller, one a. senegali and the other is an a. occidentalis that comes from Ghana from the Volta River system. At the time I kept the 'bouche" species I never sexed them which is a factor to consider with growth rate and ultimate size. With a. wittei, I raised and sold a female a year or so ago when she got too large for her environs at 17". I currently have another a. wittei, this one a male and it's growth seems slower and it's size isn't as large as the female's was for the same amount of time, suggesting that there could be an important difference in ultimate size based on gender but likely not so much to make a difference of more than a few inches overall… In any case, beautiful fish, the 'bouche' variety have very distinct, striking markings and patterns, nice...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

the other is an a. occidentalis that comes from Ghana from the Volta River system.
@yellowcat I would be interested to see a picture of this fish would you know of one??

Birger
Birger
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

Hi Birger, I had seen a picture of one on an old forum post, probably on the MFK website but can't find it, it looked like a common a. occidentalis, no distinguishing features really. I just found another post on the same site where it was stated that the keeper had 2 Volta River catfish that never reached 12" in 2 years in a 240G tank( no photo) and had previously raised an a. occidentalis of unknown origin that grew to 22" in a much smaller tank, in just over a year, as many seem to do. The one importer I previously mentioned has gotten Volta River specimens in the past and I'd like to get one when they show up again. Sorry to say, just anecdotal info so far...
Africa: Claroteidae- P. monkei, 3-P. punctatus, A. occidentalis-Volta, 3-A. biscutatus, 2-N. macrostoma. Mocho.- syno. batensoda, 2-syno. pardalis. South America: Pimelodids-p. blochii, 2-platysilurus mucosus. Pseudopim's- 2-lophiosilurus alexandri, batrochoglanis cf. villosus. Doradidae-anadoras grypus, 2-rhinodoras dorbigny, 2-wertheimeria maculata
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

2012-09-23 17.17.36.jpg
Just found this, said to be a Volta River species..
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

First I have heard of a variant of this kind...makes sense though from this area.

I will also watch for any sign of it...will ask around.

Birger
Birger
TheCichlidKid15

Hey just got back from usps, it would almost be the same to Ft. Meyers airport or that zip code you gave me, the gentleman said 45-55 bucks for overnight shipping. Let me know what your thinking pal, thanks.
RD JR
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Many kudos to Birger and Kirk. I have been seeing the mentions of both bouche and volta varieties for some time now but have never known what to make of them. Thanks to you I have some reasonable expectation for the bouche. Volta seems still mysterious due to so little (second hand) info.
TheCichlidKid15 wrote:Hey just got back from usps, it would almost be the same to Ft. Meyers airport or that zip code you gave me, the gentleman said 45-55 bucks for overnight shipping. Let me know what your thinking pal, thanks.
Sounds reasonable. That's about the max overnight shipping fee for USPS (IIRC) and I assume because you will be using a good amount of water. It doesn't make sense to be shipping to the airport then, just ship them to my address. My current water temp is 85-89 F. What's yours? If we are in agreement, let me know how much $$ to PayPal you, $150?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TheCichlidKid15

my temp is 84 degrees in their tank at the moment, you can email me at raydjr15@aol.com with your address, 150 is fine, please email me when you get the fish so i know they arrived safely, thanks.
RD JR
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

Viktor, For what it's worth your water temp's seem to be on the high side for these fish, with both auchenoglanis and parauchenoglanis, mine seem to thrive at 74-77 degrees F. and do well with a PH around 6.5 to 7 and especially avoid a high PH condition with which they will become stressed and stop feeding...
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks much, Kirk!

The hot season got another month or so to go. The exhibit water temps will be in the 70-80 F in Nov-Apr. I hope to have the fish room under AC by the next summer's heat but won't be able to cool the air to much below 82-85 F. Since May, the fish room has been steady at 85-95 F.

My water's pretty soft, low TDS of ~50 ppm, pH is usually around 7, no more than +/- 0.2. This is straight from my 10,000 GPD RO system. My raw ground water is indeed extremely hard (~500-600 ppm Ca and Mg) and low end brackish (~800-900 ppm salinity) and is unusable (has 0.25-0.5 ammonia; yellow from tannin). It kills fish... eventually.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

Yes, hard to keep tanks cool with high ambient temp's in the room, haven't kept them in higher temp's so don't know how they do under those conditions but will likely be o.k.. One reason I like cooler temp's is these fish seem to have high O2 requirements so therefore more oxygen available with cooler water. I too have hard tap water (don't know the numbers) and as a result harder to bring down and stabilize PH. Of course any spike in ammonia will stress 'em in a major way and they stop feeding, as with all fish..
Assuming you have gravel in your tanks, which they like, they'll keep it nicely clean. Enjoy 'em Viktor!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I see. Thanks, again. No, no substrate. Bare tanks for now by design. You must have not seen my vids http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... &start=180 My other sifters Oxydoras nigers seem happy to me. Maybe the g-cats will be too.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

yellowcat wrote:... Well I can say that the photo's show that these fish are definitely the 'bouche' variety of a. occidentals, I obtained mine from Rehoboth Aquatics, the first to import them I believe and I raised and sold a pair years ago when they grew past 15", the second owner sold them again when they reached around 24" and were reported to continue to grow larger after...
@yellowcat Kirk, just thought I'd bring up this "bouche" from the same source, Rehoboth. Thread by @MarkSmith. It appears his has been stuck at 1' but we desperately need an update from him. http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 48#p289940

Perhaps it is the gender difference you've brought up? Could it be that drastic? Granted IDK how long it took yours to get to 15" and then to 24"+ and what size Mark's fish is today.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

It's been around 7 years or so since I sold my 'bouche' cats. My best recollection is that I raised them from 2" to 14 or 15" in about a year and a half then sold 'em. Two years later I contacted the second owner about another rare fish I was selling,( a seriously qualified fish keeper and noted author with a PHD in Icthyology), I asked about the fish, which by then had been sold as they had outgrown his tanks. (His fishroom was another building on his property!) He said they had grown past 24" and were still growing in their 3rd home, kept by a friend of his. I'll note that my a. wittei male has grown from 2" to 13"+ in 11 months. In any case, so many conflicting reports regarding growth and size with auchenoglanis sp. in general, I'm sure you'll be greatly helpful with your two to further narrow the controversy in time...
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Per Mark's latest reply of today, IMHO there is no or not much contradiction between yellowcat's and Mark's reports.

I think it is safe to say that offering and advertising "bouche" as a dwarf Auchenoglans is wrong.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TheCichlidKid15

How those Giraffe cats doing pal??????? Any pics?
RD JR
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Doing well. Not growing too much but little by little there is some growth. Probably 16"-18" now. You can check out my channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCeGmo ... =0&sort=dd

These are the latest videos of the tank they are in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rfHh47VTkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOYUplgnVfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX8Y7elSPqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bp7m4O8mvo

They have always been in this tank, so you can watch any video from this tank #21, 4500 gal, "peaceful" community.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”