Catfish in Chengdu, China

For those out there encountering catfishes in the wild, post your experiences here.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Re: Catfish in Chengdu, China

Post by Scleropages »

As I don't have much experience with snakeheads, I will defer to the Singapore fish-heads.
Scleropages
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: New Jersey

Post by Scleropages »

I recently visited Chengdu with my family again. This time, I did some research to find out where the good aquarium shops are. It led me to visit the pet market on Xinkai Street just south of Tianfu Square. The amount of fish shops on that street is overwhelming. I've never seen anything like it before. It felt kind of like when I was in my teens and visited one of the bigger importer/wholesalers in my area for the first time in 1990--when the U.S. economy was strong and every tank they had was fully stocked. It was so great to see--especially as my favorite fish (Scleropages formosus) was in abundance at many of the shops. I tried to take pics of all of the catfish I saw. Not sure about all of the species names, so if you want to chime in with IDs, it would be appreciated.

If you're ever in Chengdu, this is where you need to go (especially if you like Silver and Asian arowanas, koi, goldfish, and parrot cichlids--which seemed to be the most plentiful species)...

Tiger shovelnose (Pseudoplatystoma tigrinum), RTC (Phractocephalus hemioliopterus)

They were moving so fast, this was the best I could do...

Paroon sharks - Pangasius sanitwongsei

Tigrinis shovelnose - Brachyplatystoma tigrinum

L-number?

L-number?

Interesting mix: C. frontosa & some form of Royal Panaque (L-190 perhaps?)

Soribum lima

Oxydoras niger?

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps (and Distochodus sexfasciatus)

Synodontis eupterus

Some sort of Clarias sp. I presume

Hybrids, I assume

And, lastly, while it's not a catfish, if I had my druthers, I would have taken this ~8" TL beauty home with me:

Gan bei!
amiidae
My images: 548
My cats species list: 82 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 178
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Singapore

Post by amiidae »

Thanks for the photos.
I find that those fishes in the restaurant or market are more interesting than those in their LFS. LOL !

and yes... Gan Bei ! :)
PREDATORY FISH KEEPERS FB GROUP --> https://www.facebook.com/groups/166535030633179/

Return to “Travellers note book”