suggestions for suitable pre - filter media for panaquolus

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

suggestions for suitable pre - filter media for panaquolus

Post by pleconut »

Hi folks tomorrow I'm planning to move my panaquolus sp.L397 to another tank i can't use their current external filter as it's packed with bladder snails :-O (reason for the move) so ive replaced it now along with an add on pre - filter to collect the sawdust they produce. The tank they are moving to is mature and has sufficient mature internal filtration that i will use in addition to the external with i will load with filter bacteria. Ive just got to move the fish out. Quickly rescape it for the L 397s and put them in. I've planned it for some time have all i need and it's all set to go with matching parameters to their current tank. So i've brought this add on prefilter to connect to new external, prefilter unit comes with course medium and fine foams the external comes with bio balls carbon and ceramic rings so i have a few options as to what can go in the pre-filter to stop the main one getting clogged with sawdust which I will move into the prefilter via circulation pumps the biggest piece of wood is near to the inlet from my media options or i can get something else entirely in your opinions what would be the best media for the intended purpose?
Thanks Teresa
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: suggestions for suitable pre - filter media for panaquolus

Post by catfishchaos »

I feel like filter floss would work well provided you changed it every week or two.
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Was something I was considering and adding the course sponge on top of it to prevent the sawdust going with the water into the main filter at the moment filter pads get clogged but rest of media looks new hence getting the prefilter. The only success I've had with externals is successfully breaking them. :)) So still quite new to them
Thanks Teresa
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
pleconut wrote:Was something I was considering and adding the course sponge on top of it to prevent the sawdust going with the water into the main filter at the moment filter pads get clogged but rest of media looks new hence getting the prefilter.
I think that is a good idea, I like a big block of coarse sponge (PPI10 or PPI20) as a pre-filter, you still need to clean it fairly regularly and to syphon the woody debris from the tank.

I use the drilled foam blocks they sell at Koi places <http://www.boddingtonkoi.com/foam-block-drilled.html>. A 12" x 4" x 4" block is less than £10.

If you want a more "off the shelf" solution the "EHEIM PREFILTER for External Canister Filter" is EHEIM part no. 4004320.

cheers Darrel
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Without wanting to be negative, I have to admit that I am not a fan of filter floss for a prefilter (or even for a filter, for that matter). As others have said in similar threads, filter floss is so fine that it clogs much quicker than coarse foam, so it requires more frequent attention than foam... And then you throw it away with all its bacteria. But a foam prefilter can be rinsed and cleaned, and still have bacteria. Of course it's not your primary bacterial filter, but it adds to the health of your tank.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Thank you if is better to pack it with course foam rather than filter floss with a layer of course foam rather than an option of the fine media and course foam it came with i will do this.
Thanks Teresa

Return to “Tank Talk”