The "Jools' new fishroom post"

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: The "Jools' new fishroom post"

Post by Marc van Arc »

Jools wrote:The issue, I think, is the water coming in.
True, which is why I deleted my posting, but somehow you manage to retrieve it (?).
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Marc van Arc wrote:
Jools wrote:The issue, I think, is the water coming in.
True, which is why I deleted my posting, but somehow you manage to retrieve it (?).
Jools CAN retrieve deleted posts, but I don't think he would do that. It's more likely that he replied before you deleted it.

--
Mats
TP
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:0)
Location 1: Southport, UK
Location 2: Southport, Merseyside, UK

Post by TP »

Maybe an alternative way of doing things would be to put a temperature sensor into the system which at a predetermined temp could activate a shutoff valve to stop the flow of the cold water. It could also be wired back to some sort of alarm to give an alert that this had been done.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

MatsP wrote:just have a tap that you can turn on and off as you need it.
That's the point though, I have all that, but I forgot to turn off the tap...

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

An update on the chilled fish disaster. I undertook the task of removing all decor from the tank, lots of bodies which I have left in the tank for now as it warms up. The Argentine pleco was still breathing very,very slowly - so much so I missed it at first. It is now breathing slowly but assuredly. Rather miraculously, one of the Squaliforma is breathing very slowly now too. Everything else however does appear to be beyond recovery. I will keep you posted.
Borbi
Expert
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi Jools,

there is this stuff used in toilets and called "Schwimmerventil" (which translates to something like "swimming valve") that is used by several people to regulate valves feeding RO units or water storage tanks, for example. It´s a simple mechanism that opens the circuit if water drops below a certain level and closes it if the valve actually starts to "swim" (like when the storage tank of a toilet is filled up again). Those are available in DIY-shops and probably close to what you are looking for.
Perhaps, you want to try one of these to stop such things happening at least in the "big tank"? Probably not useful to equip every single tank with such a thing, though.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

personally, I use thermostatic taps. I have them at 27 C (~70 F) all the time.

They prevent the water getting hotter - and thus I can open the tap without any worry about temperature problems. However, I can not change water at a trickle rate, I need to really open the tap

They costed 300 euros, thus 250 pounds at the current exchange rate. The nice thing is, in an existing fishroom one can still intall one
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

That's interesting, it might work here, but what I think I want is an electronic safety shut off, something that switches off the tap after a preset time (say, 5 minutes or, thinking about it, after a certain volume of water has passed). If anyone knows of such a thing let me know otherwise I will search the internet...

Jools
Borbi
Expert
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi,

that should be possible with a simple magnetic valve that is closed by default without electricity and a cheap timer most people use to automatically switch tank lights. That should be able switch off the magnetic valve after any given amount of time.

Cheers, Sandor
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
MatsP
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Jools wrote:
MatsP wrote:just have a tap that you can turn on and off as you need it.
That's the point though, I have all that, but I forgot to turn off the tap...

Jools
Yes, my point was that by filling and emptying rather slowly (like maybe a dozen liters an hour), the heater will have enough time to heat up the water before the fish gets too cold. But it does assume that there's a overflow that the water flows out of at the same time as it's filling up. Obviously, if you need to vacuum out some crud at the bottom, it will slowly regain it's level. The tap is just there to allow you to STOP the filling up.

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Bro,
What a bummer. Yes, I know many of those animals and they will be missed if they do not make it. That said, you may be very surprised at what recovers. I once bagged up some Rams I had collected and handed them to a helper to put in the cooler. Yes, he placed the bag of fish in the lunch cooler...which was packed with ice. After a very slow warm up, almost every fish recovered. I had a similar incident here this week. After moving lots of tropical stuff to the pond we had a sudden cold snap. I could literally put my hand in the pond and just pick up most of the fish. The next day warmed up and, far as I can see, everything is fine and swimming again. Hope this happen for you too.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Jools,
I've been out working, or else I would have posted sooner. There's a device that prevents water scalding/burning called a mixing valve. I found this:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/thermosta ... s.html#faq
It's meant for metering shower systems. There's one on this page that goes down to 20 degrees F. Maybe one can be fitted to your needs....
Amanda
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

A dear friend of mine here locally does pond consulting and uses "flow through" style filtration to do constant small water changes, even on the ponds in her basement. She discovered flow meters that you attach to a garden hose that shut off after a certain number of preset gallons. For her, that's in the hundreds, but I would think it could still work? I'll check with her to see exactly what it's called and where she buys them.

It's a bad week for fish rooms evidently. My Queen Arabesque colony that I've had 7 or 8 years was lost this week after a power outage when their filter didn't restart and the power head driven sponge filter clogged up overnight. I knew the tank was getting overstocked and just didn't get on top of things soon enough. It worked as an incentive program to get everything else in good shape though, and I'm budgeting for a generator this week ;).

Barbie
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

and I'm budgeting for a generator this week ;).
Dang Barbie, I thought we only did that in Africa. Is the US that bad off these days?
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Well, on the bright side, my Psuedohemidon fry are now past the 10mm mark and eating well. I also found that can jump and when they're not doing that they can eat fish nearly half their size.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Barbie wrote:She discovered flow meters that you attach to a garden hose that shut off after a certain number of preset gallons. For her, that's in the hundreds, but I would think it could still work? I'll check with her to see exactly what it's called and where she buys them.
I'd appreciate that, I think it might be what I am looking for.

Jools
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

Shane it doesn't go off long, but I live in terror of a tree falling on a line and being without power for 24 hours or something. At my house, that would be some very bad juju! The battery backups work for short term fixes (well when you have stuff plugged into them, that is), but a girlfriend lost 11 tanks of fish during a freak ice storm over in Lacey. If I think about it too much I have nightmares :p.

I'm still waiting for a call back Jools, but Margie will be able to tell me exactly what product she uses and if you can't get them over there I can mail you one.

Barbie
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

Many of the responses above have offered technological fixes, and these may be helpful. There is probably also a role for behavioral solutions, i.e., making the fish room a comfortable place to hang out so that you can watch water levels rise and fall without getting bored.

For some people, the downside of this is that one trades fish space for human space. I found that when my fish room consisted only of fish tanks, I didn't spend much time there. Maintenance was a chore, and the further I slipped behind, the less I wanted to spend time in the fish room. Now that my cat and I lurk among the catfish, the hurdle for doing water changes and otherwise keeping the tanks in good shape is much lower.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Dinyar,

I think that's true wisdom, however perhaps the pressure on time isn't because of humdrum fishroom activity. Actually it's not such much pressure on time, but just poor mental agility in terms of remembering water is running... The new fishroom has found me spending more time watching fish of late, which is great. I may well also take a leaf from your book and put a comfortable chair or something in there too.

On a fish note, I lost all fish in the tank except the Argentine pleco which turned out to be .

Jools
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

That's a great point, Dinyar. I've always been envious of those with true "fish rooms." One of my "if I hit the lotto" dreams is having a fish room. I have a bedroom with about 10 fish tanks. I live in it. I hear things go wrong in the night and I fix it, then I try to go back to sleep. If I can't, I watch the Banjos play under the LED light. I'm not sure I'd be comfy with a big room full of tanks that I can't keep track of. I think I'd lose the fun.

Jools, I guess the one fish didn't get the memo. Hope it does well.
Amanda
Barbie
Expert

Post by Barbie »

I have to agree with Dinyar, I notice quite a few more things about my tanks in the rooms I'm comfortable sitting in to watch the fish. It doesn't always avert tragedy, as there's just not enough hours in my days anymore, but it definitely helps.

The equipment Margie uses is a water timer. I found an example of one Here but I'd assume any brand would work fine. She said they aren't all that accurate under 50 gallons, but I think that could still solve your problem easily. I hope this helps! If you need one or two shipped across the big pond, I'll definitely be available to help with that.

Barbie
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I found that when my fish room consisted only of fish tanks, I didn't spend much time there. Maintenance was a chore, and the further I slipped behind, the less I wanted to spend time in the fish room.
Dinyar,
Your above post really got me thinking. What a profound observation. I have the best fishroom in terms of size and comfort that I have had since Venezuela, yet I do not spend hardly anytime in there. Your post gave me an epiphany, and I know you will appreciate this. In the past, no matter how crowded, my fishroom was the only room in the house I was allowed to smoke in (we did not have Sofia then). Now I only smoke outside. You can guess what gets all the TLC... the pond.
-Shane
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Yes, indeed, same for me Shane. However I have countered this by installing a coffee machine in the fishroom. The Scottish winter also helps. Will post some pics of the big tank stand, soon!

Jools
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

I have countered this by installing a coffee machine in the fishroom.
Brilliant! Maybe I should set up a home brewing operation in the Fishroom?
-Shane
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

a fridge stashed with sixpacks would be a simpler solution, Shane
:lol:
Valar Morghulis
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

sidguppy wrote:a fridge stashed with sixpacks would be a simpler solution, Shane
:lol:
Yes, and this would be great for evening visits to the room. However, I usually also visit the room first thing in the morning, having beer in there could lose me a day! One thing I've promised myself I will do is spend a whole day in there on day - with all the waste plumbing it is possible!!!

Big tank arrives Wednesday hopefully.

Jools
sojapat
My images: 17
My catfish: 431
Spotted: 267
Location 1: Ugly Wigan, Lancs
Location 2: Wigan
Interests: Drink,Fish ,micro organisms,

Post by sojapat »

I will help you get rid of any excess alcohol produced at Dignals indipendant Brewers. :P
Its the least I could do :thumbsup:
ps You know the thing about leaving taps switched on..
I believe eating fish is good for the memory .
Its no wonder catfish hide :lol:
Keep your powder dry
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

One thing I've promised myself I will do is spend a whole day in there on day -
Best thing to do on a cold winter day...it is nice sometimes to just tinker with your fish all day but does not happen near enough
Birger
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Just an update pic post, the last of the tanks (for now.....) arrive next Wednesday.

Jools
Attachments
Show tank from living room.
Show tank from living room.
Looking down the fishroom, 1/3 in.
Looking down the fishroom, 1/3 in.
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9