Thailand Fastwater Biotype

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Re: Thailand Fastwater Biotype

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Only new fish gone down to the 5x2x2 are my Pantodon buchholzi and female Aplocheilus Lineatus that had to be rapidly moved out of the Rio240 after a major panick... I was absolutely convinced I saw my female Golden Wonder swallow two of my new Phenacogrammus cf. nigropterus whole within minutes of their introduction! :-O (I later found all 7 "present and correct," but the illusion shock was enough for me to move out all the predators (sadly my final female Parmabassis pulcinella died in the 5x2x2 after the move, her healing wound got re-infected). Besides the rare tetras, I also came home with a captive bred duo of Steatocranus tinanti youngsters (very outgoing compared to S. casuarius) and ten diurnal "water surfing junkies" Microsynodontis sp. 1 who are great to watch.

So I'm now left with a bit of a dilemma in the 5x2x2, with having my four Ctenopoma aciturostre (possibly 1 occellatum) and the Pantodon down there, as regards a midwater school. I'd love to get a group of Brycinus longipinnis, but I wonder if they will be too zippy and aggressive at feeding time, so I'm wondering if Phenacogrammus interruptus would be a better choice (often recommended for African oddball tanks including bushfish and Butterly Fish).
Another possibility, if I can source enough of "the real deal", is to get a big school of Pareutropius debauwi. Their larger adult size compared to P. buffei could make all the difference in terms of not being eyed up as "live lunch", but then these guys would do better with a confident dither around them.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “Tank Talk”