Algae eater for brackish tank?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Sara1210
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: UK

Algae eater for brackish tank?

Post by Sara1210 »

Hi guys,

I'm not sure where this thread should go so feel free to move it :ymblushing:

I've started noticing a brown algae in my tank. After reading up online it sounds like its just cause its a fairly new tank but I was wondering if there are any algae eaters I could get for my brackish set up.
I love the common plec but don't like the idea of cleaning up all that poo constantly lol in my local store they have chocolate zebra plecs but again I think the poo situation would be the same!

So can you guys recommend an algae eater for me. I have my 3 colombian sharks, a siamese tiger fish and 2 silver monos who all get on really well so I don't want to put anything in there that might upset the atmosphere. Any suggestions would be really appreciated :d
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Re: Algae eater for brackish tank?

Post by Mike_Noren »

Zebra snails (Neritina spp).
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Lee A.
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
Location 2: Mesa County, Colorado, USA

Re: Algae eater for brackish tank?

Post by Lee A. »

Nerite snails do a terrific job of eating algae in my tanks. I have different kinds of Nerites: Olive, Green Tiger, and Red Lady Tiger. I must say, however, that the Olives do the best job. In your brackish tank they will probably breed like mad things. I like to keep about 1 Nerite per gallon of water.

Return to “Tank Talk”