power filter with sand substrate

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sophia35
Location 1: Southeast
Location 2: United States

power filter with sand substrate

Post by sophia35 »

I've been having problems with my power filter, I think because I converted to a sand substrate for the corys. Any advice? Is there a certain type of power filter I should get? We just bought this one in August. It's been making loud noises, and I just cleaned it. I'm cleaning the parts again, this morning. Worried the pump is about to go out.
sophia35
Location 1: Southeast
Location 2: United States

Re: power filter with sand substrate

Post by sophia35 »

It's a Marineland Penguin 200 power filter; it says "for freshwater and marine" and is for up to a 50-gallon aquarium, which is what it's on.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

What type of filter are you using? Someone may well know specifics about the model of filter you are using.

Do you actually find sand inside the filter - in particular in the actual impeller housing? If so, you will need to either reposition the intake to be further from the sand surface (2-3" is recommended), or use filter sponge to stop the sand from getting to the impeller - this can be a "pre-filter" at the intake, or, depending on the design of the actual filter, inside the filter.

I have sand in all my tanks, and I've used:
-Eheim Classic (2215, 2217), ProII (2028) and ProIII (2080) externals
-Eheim PickUp internals
-Hagen Fluval 3+ & 4+ internals
-TetraTec EX600, EX1200.
-"Noname" airdriven sponge filter (in the fry tank).

I don't think specific filters are "designed to run with sand" and others not. It's mostly a case of "make sure the sand doesn't get to the moving parts", as described above.

--
Mats
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

The problem with most HOB filters is that the impeller sits on the bottom and any sand that gets in will get to the impeller. If you go with a canister filter, which has the impeller up top, or air driven devices with no impeller, you won't have this problem. I run sand in some of my tanks and have not had a problem with my Eheim canisters at all, but they have killed some powerheads.
Last edited by 2wheelsx2 on 05 May 2017, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Not familiar with this make of HOB (HOB's aren't popular in the UK), but
.....use filter sponge to stop the sand from getting to the impeller
is a good idea.

I've got an Eheim Liberty HOB that I DIY'ed a sponge for, just sewed up with nylon thread from a sponge sheet:

I use these type of pre-filter sponges on all my externals and powerheads. They stop any debris getting into the filter, and they provide extra biological filtration.

If you want some more details, "Apistomaster" wrote a really useful post here: <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 2&p=208271>

Another one here: <http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr10 ... sponge.jpg>

cheers Darrel
lovefishtank
Location 1: Taiwan
Location 2: Taiwan

Post by lovefishtank »

I uses an Aquaclear 70 Hang On Back filter and I think it is the best filter for 50-gallon aquarium if your are finding a HOB filter.
https://portlandaquarium.net/category/equipment/
Hi every body!

Return to “Tank Talk”