New catfish tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Krawallo
My cats species list: 5 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Germany, Cologne

Re: New catfish tank

Post by Krawallo »

2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Don't worry about the English or some of the not perfect photos. I, for one, love the frequent updates and day by day explanation and closeups of what's going on! Keep it coming.
Krawallo

Day 10 (after hatching)

Post by Krawallo »

Hi all,

the little ones grow more or less well, they are now between 15 and 20mm. The older ones are all already bright brown. During clean the large aquarium so with online water filter cleaning and changing of around 30 minutes, I find it in the filter cartridge of the Eheim 2048 (powerhouse behind the rear wall), one of the little that had slipped unnoticed. He is now with are siblings. :-)
After we were done with all the aquarium so I can see this guy,
Sturisoma-t10-1.jpg
on the large Echinodorus, left rear, wide awake. :-) :-) After the photo, he was gone.
Sturisoma-t10-2-1.jpg
We have just found him again, as he sits on the tube that the breeding tank supplied with the 'captive' siblings, with water.

Greetings Ralf

PS. The slices are pretty dirty, the image quality suffers more and more.
Krawallo

Day 12 (after hatching)

Post by Krawallo »

Hi all,

Pictures today there is not new, but the little (big) it well. Unfortunately, no one was in a position that I would have him (it) with the camera can achieve.
Parents too often cavort together at the front window and clean. The female is again remarkably thick and the papilla is extended ..... My wife just gets a crash course in aquarium photography because it is tomorrow morning at home. We assume that they spawn in the morning. If all goes well, there are pictures of the spawning

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

It looks very suspicious

Post by Krawallo »

Ok, yet another photo.

There goes another thing, hopefully not happen overnight.
Sturi-2-1.jpg
The light is still half an hour on, looks like a night shift…...
Keep you up to date.

Greetings Ralf
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

The picture above this post is one of best I've ever seen of breeding; you get a real sense of how the mechanics of it work. Good luck with the night shift.

Cheers,

Jools
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

The first eggs
Sturi-2-1-1.jpg
here once the first image from last night.
'll Stick a little bit back and write a complete report and breeding here in the corresponding tread post as a whole.
Then want that any of you checked the script to fail. Would be cool if someone here I can send you the script!
Please help me.
Of course I'll continue to report on the "little ones".
This morning there were three dead, unfortunately, but they were in comparison to the other much smaller. My guess is the small filter always ..... Serious.
When I think about what the little Sturisoma do in nature? Hard suck on a sunrays, wood, stone and wait ..... ? Once I the food mix into the breeding tank to catch all the "ask where they are" eating

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

Day 15

Post by Krawallo »

Back to the already hatched.

Today, on day 15, I can report that since the First Day 9 Small died. All were significantly smaller than their siblings, and still very dark, similar to the image "of the first" all others look like their parents. The food offered is well accepted, I must suck more daily droppings as food remains. The largest are, well 22mm long and the body increases in volume. We have a week ago, where some Ramshorn snails into the breeding tank, the clear well at the uneaten food. Tomorrow will try the plastic basin to clean, then there are the photos of the little ones. The next breeding tank will be made ​​of glass and ordered here. http://www.aquarienbastelei.de

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

unfortunately over for now :-(

Post by Krawallo »

Evenin,

yesterday on day 18 began the mass deaths. No idea why. All measurable values ​​and in the open water and the optimal range, have the fat Dupla measuring case, since nothing remains open.
Sunday, I was so confident, because the kids have super risen well over the last week. Are less than 20 over.
Well, the second brood hatches tomorrow ... it goes on.

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Hi all,

currently living on the fry wire tension over a maximum of five, in another aquarium in the kitchen, this is very much overgrown with algae.
Today I saw two, and they are well fed and the manure, which was to see is longer than the little fish. So they find enough to eat in this tank.

The new breed is published 4 days in Breeding tank and fed since yesterday, sweet with ELOS, spirulina and paprika. Acitvate the container is full with old lettuce, spinach, zucchini and algae.
I hope the second attempt works better.

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Second nest attempts with different manure vegetables
was also not all dead
New clutch of about 80 eggs stuck since Wednesday back to the frontglas (how did he old man that?). Do with the little ones more like the first approach and search for the cause. Somehow, the little ones are too stupid to eat when they have to switch from filtering on Vegetable food. This time more old Echinodorus leaves will give the breading tank. Of the converted into the kitchen- tank "first" two are left, but the grow and flourish and only eat the algae on the glass, leaves and roots, they are now 35mm long. The filaments are formed from already. When they sit in times pose, there's photos. b-)

Greetings Ralf
MichaelC95
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Virginia
Location 2: Washington, DC

Post by MichaelC95 »

This is a very cool tank and the fish you have are so interesting. Have you tried to add almond leaves? I have heard that the use of these with fry such as yours helps them move on to other foods because the leaves produce inforusia.
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Good news from the kitchen.

I had five strong Sturisoma-fry, from the first clutch put into this tank.
Da geht noch was 3.jpg
And yesterday I have discovered two more, they probably true in the filter. So 4 pieces have survived. The size of the "small" is between 32 and 42mm.
Maybe it was something with the water in the large tank something wrong, because of course the second brood had died completely after 5 days. NO2 was definitely zero.

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your help, I will consider it the third clutch, which slips straight :-). In three days I will feed for the first time and put your information into action.

Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

The Big Small in the kitchen

Post by Krawallo »

Evenin,

The five surviving Sturisoma of the first brood live and thrive even now in the kitchen.
Here is a photo of the "big ones", which measures 48mm. Without Fillamente and is five and a half weeks old
Brut 1-1.jpg
Ok, the basin is covered with algae, especially the glass, but I will do the devil and change anything, let the algae to remove the glass. Have the "small" never active, eat food given to see, so they grow through the nursery they suck tirelessly.

Greetings Ralf.

PS: I relieved on Friday, just because of the small, the aquarium around 60 Endlerguppys.
Krawallo

Another update from the Aquarium

Post by Krawallo »

Evenin,

After a long time finally a photo of the aquarium, with Sturisoma-breeding tank and Sturi-father with eggs No.4. At the major Echinodorus is E. parviflorus! Too much light? :-)
Forum-18-1.jpg
Above left, the ball valve is used to regulate the breedingtank, and the orange, top left, to the right of the breedingtank is a carrot dish which like the little witches for catfish like to eat.
The E. tenellus I removed (almost) completely, which was worse than weeds and formed by its dense growth of a holding facility for a thread algae that did not grow at the plant, around special to them. In the middle of the HG I have some E. tenellus replanted.

Greetings Ralf

HP, the Sturisoma, clutches No. 3 is fine, continue to be
Giraffe011313
Location 2: Milford, Connecticut

Post by Giraffe011313 »

Ralf,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting these incredibly detailed posts & photographs. I absolutely love the detailed progression of the eggs as they develop! Hopefully they continue to grow strong :)

Amanda
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Hello everybody

I am back again. After a private reboot, I have now in my new house again two aquariums, one of which you know one. Now, after four weeks, I struggle a bit with the start-up difficulties, algae etc ... but it is slow, but it is good :-) in the next few days I'll set some photos here. Although no breeding report, but an aquarium is growing. soon and greetings Ralf :-H
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Ralf,

Welcome back, and good luck with your new tanks!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

Hello and good evening.
Here is the beginning of a photo from tonight.
[img]sorry%20only%20iPad[/img]
Unfortunately only with the iPad not so in the usual quality. As you can see, growing at the moment, the blue algae, but even that will eventually be over. I'm back, which is one and the tank follows me and my new life :-) we read tomorrow and good night.
Greetings Ralf
Krawallo

Post by Krawallo »

:d :d Ups.... I dont found the way to upload a photo from the ipad ... sorry :-S

Return to “Tank Talk”