40 Gallon Community

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Kif
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: East Yorkshire

Re: 40 Gallon Community

Post by Kif »

Some nice photos, love the Corys one of my all time favourite fish.
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

thanks! I love corydoras too and would have a whole school of sterbai or pandas but i am afraid they would starve out my L260 plecos, so i decided not to get cories. i am only keeping this little pygmy cory because he isn't going to steal much food :P
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

how sure are you that the neons were not dying from the Angelfish? Your tank is much smaller than my previous angelfish tank. I had 6 adult blue silver angels in a 120 with a school of neons. The angelfish were making short work of the school of them.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

because my neons are huge, probably the jumbo variety (1.5"-2" in size) and the angel never chases them. before i lost a neon i'd always see sores on it's body and to my understanding it's neon tetra disease. nothing i did helped the neons. so far i have two neons that are holding on, and one smaller cardinal that is really an amazing looking fish.

I'll tell a little story. It's about my very bad experience with tetras.
Originally, maybe 2 years ago, I bought 12 wild caught cardinals because i was dumb. i saw them for cheap on AquaBid and went for it because i thought that a school would look nice. totally forgot they were wild caught and that my tap water is no where near ideal for soft water fish. long story short, cardinals started to drop quickly in the first week. maybe due to my angel, or maybe due to shipping and collecting stress in the wild. i was left with 6-7 cardinals and those seemed to hang on fine.

Then i bought 4 platys because my single male was looking lonely. well those platy fish brought in ich and i didn't even notice it because the platys were healthy but immediately after adding them my cardinals were covered in ich. all but one cardinal perished from ich. didnt have time to treat. wild fish are so sensitive...

Anyway now that one cardinal has been with me up until now. super vibrant super healthy, i love him. I decided to buy neons to let them all school. bought 6 neons. big neons too. by this time my angel has seen so many tetras that it had enough and wasn't dealing with them anymore. the neons were too big to eat anyway. well again disease struck and over the course of one year i lost many neons to neon tetra disease up until now.

All that remains is two neons (one has signs of disease but has somewhat recovered since i raised the temps to 83F) and that one cardinal. they school with the one pygmy cory i raised.

No more neons for me. no more cardinals since they are wild caught.
I was thinking about diamond tetras since those are likely hardy and captive bred. I want to get 5 diamonds when i have more money for fish :))
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Neon tetras do not do well in warmer water. Cardinal tetras are fine with the warmth, but neons aren't aslucky. i used to keep neons in a 20 gal L that was kept between 74-76 and the neons did fine. I then moved the tank to a high temp over 4 months time to accommodate some new fish I wanted to keep with them. I lost every neon after the temp was above 80. Now in my search for tetras for tanks above 80 (currently stocking a 125 with apistos and tetras and heated to 84-86), I hve been told to go with cardinal if I want one of the tetras from the "neon" group. I am currently quarantining 30 silvertip tetras, will be getting 10 emperor tetras, and eventually 60 Cardinals to finish the tank.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

yea thats a shame. i cant really lower heat because of L260. its not the best environment for BN plecos either but they have been doing ok.
my remaining neons are doing well. we will see if the temps will affect their life span. they are active for now. the cardinal is fine too.

i am hoping diamond tetras can handle heat. online sources dont recommend 80F or more for them but i will attempt it. if it works they payoff will be great.

sounds like your tank will be epic looking! all those fish much be expensive to stock. i'd like to see a finished photo of your 125 when you fully stock it :d
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Looking like a pleco home. Good to see you sticking with it.
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

update
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

For a small update, all fish are alive and well, the six L260 have grown a little bit. some are probably over 2". The Albino BN female has grown to 4"+
the pygmy cory is now and adult, and i ended up getting 6 Lemon Tetras a long time ago, and all of them are doing great at 82F. I didn't even know they were from the Tapajos River - same as the L260 plecos.
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

update pics for the L260
This is them on 11/13/2013
And them on 6/22/2014

They are slowly growing and might hopefully breed within the next year.
.Plecomania.

Post by .Plecomania. »

Return to “Tank Talk”