Red Tail Catfish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
desert cat
Location 2: Arizona

Red Tail Catfish

Post by desert cat »

Hello,

I have had my catfish "Oreo" for about five months now. He has gone from a 2 inch baby in a 10 gallon tank to about 10 inches in a 120 gallon. I was warned, but didnt listen. How often should I be feeding him? I mostly feed him pellets, with some frozen Krill and some guppies.I have been reading that I should only feed him once a week?
If that is correct how much food should he get in one feeding per week?
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Re: Red Tail Catfish

Post by .Plecomania. »

I'd do like twice a week.
picture the size of his stomach and just feed him to fill him up, maybe slightly less each time.

you prob can't keep him forever though which is sad. these things need very large ponds to grow.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Red Tail Catfish

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Good advice. Or feed until the tummy bulges a bit and then do not feed until it goes back flat.

If you know for sure you cannot care for him for his lifetime or even much longer, please, make every effort to find him a proper home asap, even if you suffer a financial loss.

IIRC, I seem to remember Oreo the RTC from the MFK. IDK if this is the same or not. Anyhow, we are here to help, bud. Ask away any questions. If anyone tries to flame you, which is rare here, just ignore them politely. This is very different from MFK, a far more mature forum but no forum is 100% fool-proof.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Tank Talk”