Pleco Tank set up Help

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
MGraf11
Location 2: Novi`

Pleco Tank set up Help

Post by MGraf11 »

I have a 75 gallon tank. I currently have one huge piece of drift wood (where my plecos always hide) and a couple rocks and 2 Pleco caves. I am about to move the tank to a new location so that means I will have to drain all the water and take out all the fish. When I have all the water drained and the fish are out I would like to set up the tank differently. I am open to all suggestions, such as should I use a under gravel Filter system? Ways to make the tank more suitable for my Plecos? How to make it where they could possibly breed if they wanted to. These are the fish i currently have in the tank.
4 cardinal tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
4 kuhli loaches
2 orange laser corys
4 friendly eels
1 shy eel.. I forget the name antigna maybe?
3 BN plecos
1 royal pleco
1 Shampupa Royal Pleco
1 spiny pleco
1 Pseudoacanthicus Angelicus Pleco (L-282)
1 red pleco
1 blue phanotm pleco
2 spotted catfish and 2 striped catfish
This is what my Tank currently looks like. Any suggestions to how to make the tank more suitable please let me know. Also I understand I have many plecos in one tank how ever a lot of these guys are only 2 inches. I do understand I will need to upgrade in the future Also this is my Fahaka Puffer! Separate tank obviously.
IMG_20140106_205311.jpg
IMG_20140106_211505.jpg
fishay12
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Pleco Tank set up Help

Post by fishay12 »

I dont know about an undergravel, but maybe some sturdy plants and/or a canister to back up what you have?
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Hi,

The pleco's you have overall will get pretty big and messy fast. Under gravel although can help I don't think it would be worth your investment in that and a suitable power head. A backup internal or canister would probably be a better investment as can handle allot more mess.

Generally speaking bog wood and hiding holes are probably on the agenda for you. Lots of the cat fish you have will like chewing on it. Perhaps 1 or 2 different types might help.

Might want to consider flower pots arranged round the tank or pipes to give more places to hide as they grow. Not very good at the size cat fish you have bought but on my last run in with the bigger guys I learnt the hard way that you need allot of cover and hidey holes. Even if they don't appear to be in use.

I've seen some people stack 1/2 flower pots of various sizes that have been silicone sealing them together or use a stackable pipe system for loaches who like to hide / fight this might work for your pleco's.

Hopefully one of our resident experienced keepers can help you further as feeding will probably be another issue later with some being a bit to shy to come out.
MGraf11
Location 2: Novi`

Post by MGraf11 »

I make sure to drop some food in when the lights are out so I have seen all my shy ones come out then. What type of Catfish would you recommend?

Return to “Tank Talk”