Temporary Housing for Common Plecostomus?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
OceanBreathes
Location 2: US

Temporary Housing for Common Plecostomus?

Post by OceanBreathes »

Hello,

I'd like some suggestions for cheap temporary housing for a common plecostomus. He's 8 inches long and has not grown at all in the 1.5(?) years that I've had him. He's been in the aquarium he came in(craigslist), which is a 46 gallon bowfront, for several years. I've read contradictory information as to the possibility of him growing larger or being stunted from living in a small tank for so long. His diet has consisted of spirulina flakes, cucumber, zucchini, and the occasional algae wafer. It's been my intention to get a much larger tank for him but I don't see it as a current possibility, due to finances and relationship difficulties. My boyfriend, who owns are home, would like to see the bowfront tank gone ASAP. I have to agree as the top brace is broken and it's bowing out more than it should. It's a ticking time bomb for the house as well as my beloved cats(the feline variety).

I have someone interested in purchasing/repairing the tank. I'm not sure if or when I'll be buying a new aquarium(and might be relocating). My other tanks are all 20 gallons or smaller(20g high, a few 10s, a 15 high). I have an ad up for the plecostomus but, as you would imagine, no one wants a large common plecostomus who requires a large tank or indoor pond(as stated in my ad). We have rubbermaid totes and so on: would these be a possibility? I'm not sure how an HOB filter would work out in one, I would need to cover it with screen(five cats in the house), etc. I do have a spare sponge filter(rated up to 30 gallons) but I imagine it's not powerful enough for a plecostomus. I, unfortunately, sold my canister filter and I doubt that we'll be purchasing another.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CarlDeller
My cats species list: 6 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 2: Quebec,Canada

Re: Temporary Housing for Common Plecostomus?

Post by CarlDeller »

You are right the 46 Gallon bowfront is too small.

I've been told that when pleco outgrow there tank there body stops to grow while there organs keep on growing.... I haven't found any sources only to confirm or deny this yet.

First time you want to do is find a bigger place to house the pleco. Second you need to make sure his new house is cycled so it won't die. Pleco produce a lot of waste and if not kept in check it could make the water toxic and die. I wouldn't sell the old aquarium until you've cycled the new tank for the pleco, but that's just me.

If you want to speed up the process you could take the gravel, some of the water and your old filter and attach it to your new setup.

Best of luck, Keep us posted on your situation.

Return to “Tank Talk”