upgrading tank and moving fish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
lilu
My cats species list: 34 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Location 2: Montreal, Canada

upgrading tank and moving fish

Post by lilu »

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on moving some of my fish on the weekend to a new (75G) tank. The filters would move too, as well as the rocks, wood and plants but there is new sand. I currently use reconstituted RO water for all water changes - so if I match the temperature between the tanks, and the new tank is also the same reconstituted RO water would it alright to move the fish over directly, or should I try to reuse as much of their current water as possible? My second question is whether there is any benefit to giving them a quick methylene blue dip before putting them in the new tank (or is this too much stress for them - Corydoras, L190, BNs, L239, L075, Synodontis hybrid 9, Synodontis nigriventris,Lamontichthys llanero)?

Thanks!!
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: upgrading tank and moving fish

Post by Supercorygirl »

I can't foresee an issue I usually take old media or an established sponge filter from a healthy tank to cycle a new one within an hour. Just don't clean your filters let them run on the new tank for an hour or two than transfer the fish. I wouldn't bother with the methyl blue dip at all, if anything I'd add some pimafix to help with any stress to fish but doubt that would be necessary
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

Did two upgrades last year. A 20G to a 55G and a 75G to a 120G. Used about three quarters of the water from the original tanks and transfered the furnitures such as rocks, driftwoods, heater, and plants. Also added a bucket or two of brand new sand. In addition, I also transfered the HOB filters to the new tanks. Never had any casualties with my cories and L-Cats.
Perhaps, as long as there's not a lot of new additions such new fishes and plants, everything will be fine. Never tried the Meth Blue dip before.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

What would the purpose of the meth blue dip be? I wouldn't as the stress needs to be kept to a minimum & there are no diseases to treat are there?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
lilu
My cats species list: 34 (i:18, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Montreal, Canada

Post by lilu »

Hi,

Thank you all for the replies!! There are no illnesses (there had been in the past, about 6 months ago there was a mild ich outbreak -only a couple rasboras showed the cysts). However, I lost a male BN not long ago to bloat. There is a new injury - last night my new male BN (his first night in the tank) got into a skirmish with the L239 over a cave. There are other unused caves but the L239 had claimed this particular one as his/her own for several months. The BN claimed the cave when the L239 left to eat. When the L239 came back they both tried to squeeze into the same cave. The new BN broke the tip (~3 mm) off the first solid ray of his right pectoral fish and his left side looks like its been scraped along the edge of the ceramic. There is a thin layer peeling off in places. There are small scrapes on the L239's pectoral fin but other than that he/she looks fine. The BN is moving to a hospital tank till he recovers. I was thinking of the dip (prior to the cave incident) as I was would be moving them to the new tank to rid them of any left over bacterial or fungus they may have picked up in the current tank that hasn't shown any symptoms (yet). But I can see how simply moving to a new home is stressful enough so if they're not sick, probably best not to stress them even more.

Return to “Tank Talk”