40G turns out to be 30G

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
CarlDeller
My cats species list: 6 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Location 2: Quebec,Canada

40G turns out to be 30G

Post by CarlDeller »

Hi all.

I purchased a 40G tank back in december and after a few months of it running i just realized i got duped.

The online ad said 40G tank for sale, everything included please contact. It had a huge blood parrot in there with a lot of that green Algea(Spinach lookalike).

I was on my aquaria page and was putting in the measurements when i realized it said 33.7 US Gallons.... I remeasured it a few times and still come up with the same numbers.... even other sources give me 30G... that's not even including all the decorations i have plus the sand....

I have 11 Banjo Cats, 1 clown pleco, 1 synodontis, 5 Blue-eye Rainbow Forktails And like.....60 guppies(started with 12).
I also had 6 Sterbai and 8 Paleatus there but i moved them to a 10 gallon to breed.... planning to move them back after i see some eggs.

I'm running a Emperor 280 and usually do water changes every week.

I'm really pissed....all the dosage i've been using was for a 40G and now months later i find out ~X(

i'm probably going to get rid of all my guppies...they breed none stop and require a lot of food (feed them 5 cubes of bloodworms last night....in an attempt to feed my Banjos some...less than half a cube got to my banjos)

Ideally i'd like to keep in that tank. My 6 Sterbai,My 8 Paleatus,My 11 banjos, a pair of plecos, 10 Otocinclus and a few middle swimming fish(Guppies,Blue-eyed Rainbows)
Attachments
20140417_143723.jpg
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Re: 40G turns out to be 30G

Post by Marine590622 »

To be charitable, it may have been they did not know any better then you. For the guppies, you just need a tank with an oscar in it.
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

Marine590622 wrote:To be charitable, it may have been they did not know any better then you. For the guppies, you just need a tank with an oscar in it.
Would the oscar attack my other fish ? like ,Pseudomugil furcatus and
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

Once they start fitting into the Oscar's mouth, they are all considered meals.
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

magdalo wrote:Once they start fitting into the Oscar's mouth, they are all considered meals.

would or or any carnivorous pleco eat small guppies and leave the adults alone ?
magdalo
My cats species list: 7 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 1: Amadeo, Cavite
Location 2: Philippines

Post by magdalo »

They are not predators.
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

magdalo wrote:They are not predators.
thank you. I figured since they eat bloodworms and that baby guppies or that size.... Oh well now i know. #-O
Matt30
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:9, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:8, p:100)
Location 2: England. Surrey ,Caterham

Post by Matt30 »

CarlDeller wrote:
magdalo wrote:Once they start fitting into the Oscar's mouth, they are all considered meals.

would or or any carnivorous pleco eat small guppies and leave the adults alone ?
Careful, some small Carnivorous Catfish are predatory,although not a pleco, I Know someone who made a mistake of putting a Pseudomystus siamensis in the wrong tank those things are eating machines.
"Justice is coming to all of us no matter what we do"-WATCHMEN
CarlDeller

Post by CarlDeller »

Thanks guys. I'm probably going to buy a new tank this summer and use this one to breed or grow out plants. maybe a koi tank

I'm just wondering what size to go with.
Marine590622
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:60)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Madison Wi, USA
Location 2: Madison WI, USA
Interests: Fishkeeping

Post by Marine590622 »

CarlDeller wrote:
Marine590622 wrote:To be charitable, it may have been they did not know any better then you. For the guppies, you just need a tank with an oscar in it.
Would the oscar attack my other fish ? like ,Pseudomugil furcatus and
I suppose a better way to have put that is. Excess guppies are not a problem when you have a fish like an oscar in one of your tanks. I keep multiple tanks. When a tank is otherwise empty, I put guppies in the tank to keep the biological filtration going. When it is time to use the tank I net the guppies out and put them in with the oscar. For some reason the issue of too many guppies has not arisen.

Return to “Tank Talk”