Close call!

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Juiceyfish
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Charlottetown

Close call!

Post by Juiceyfish »

Well I near had a nervous breakdown thinking my tank ate a pleco!!! I was feeding my fish tonite and I was noticing this was the third day my l031 peppermint pleco was nowhere to be seen so i started to investigate !! I tore my tank apart to absolutely nothing in there even pulled the plants! And he was nowhere to be seen so I start loosing me marbles and start crawling around the stand thinking he jumped out ... Still no luck so the gf looked in the pump still nothing so we looked again and again at this point I'm like wat the eff!! Not even a dead fish shell Lolz so I looked in the filter and lookie what I found!!!!! Still alive too!!:) :) but one problem from pic one you can see how he is surprisingly still alive with the minimal amount Of water that is on top the charcoal but as you can see in pic two his tail is rotted pretty well gone but still seems ok still suckin but hasn't eaten yet will he die or will his tail grow back? Should I put him by himself so none the other plecos nip him? ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PseudaSmart
I've donated: $200.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 19
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My BLogs: 9 (i:10, p:310)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Michigan, USA
Location 2: Ilha do Mel, Brazil
Interests: Breeding all Pseuda's. Finding a way to beat Parkinson's Disease.

Re: Close call!

Post by PseudaSmart »

If it moves around without much trouble putting it back in the main tank will be fine. Some fish get more stressed being in a new setting. Otherwise a move would be a good idea.

Most fins will grow back over time. It the tips of the spines in the fin (or tail) are damaged then it may permanently be shortened.
Jim
Almost 3,000 gallons solely for raising and breeding Pseudacanthicus.
Spawned to date: L25, L65, L97, L114, L160, L185, L427, LDA07 and P. leopardus (L600).
Check out my videos at: youtube.com/c/PseudaSmart
Also on Facebook. PseudaSmart (of course!)
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

Hard to tell from your pics. The first pic it appears that it didn't lose much tail at all. Second pic, looks like there is some damage but still some caudal there? Fish have amazing healing abilities. If the injury is infected, I would just make some space in the sump for the fish to be comfortable and feed it there for a while to see how extensive the damage is, and possibly it will heal itself through diet. Only after I'm sure it is healing properly without infection, would I return it to its home tank. My 2¢.
Juiceyfish
My cats species list: 24 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Charlottetown

Post by Juiceyfish »

Yes there is a little bit left to the tail... Just the top fork is pretty well down to the hard part and I really hope he growls it back he's a nice pleco! And he gets around fine it seems he hasn't come back on the glass yet though! Thanks for the inputs guys really appreciated!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tank Talk”