Malaysian trumpet snails - any thoughts?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Malaysian trumpet snails - any thoughts?

Post by JamesFish »

I thought the MTS lay eggs my mistake they must just be tiny but they are a huge pain to get rid of once they are in.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

apistomaster wrote: MTS are livebearers and Assassin snails are self-limiting once they run out of other snails to eat.
That's only partially true for the Assassins. I brought some in my 20 gallon breeding tank to take care of pond snails and they ate all the snails and are now happily eating fish food. They do seem to require other snails to breed rapidly though, as I have not seen my population grow much since all the other snails are gone. I do see new snails here and then, but nowhere near the population I had when I had pond snails in there. I've since spread the assassins around to take care of snails in my other tanks. Great little guys.
inatthedeepend
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:10)
Location 2: Uk, Cardiff

Post by inatthedeepend »

I've had MTS in the 125 tank for a week now. So far I can't report any drawbacks, unfortunately neither can I report massive advantages to them - apart from having something else in the tank to look at (every now and then one climbs the glass).

I'm currently slowly migrating the inhabitants of this tank to a larger tank (since Mr and Mrs Plec, our bristlenoses are breeding like mad), prior to remodelling to home L333's, I shall see how the snails do.

The main reason that migration is being taken so slowly is that there's another recently hatched batch of fry still in residence. Since one of the main causes of young plec death is malnutrition, I tend to overfeed a little to ensure plentiful food for all, I'm wondering if the MTS will come into their own at this point.
Albino Sick Led
Location 2: Houston,Texas

Post by Albino Sick Led »

I have a Zue Island cichid tank (4 Males: 7 Females) along with my L-106 and L-014

The MTS do not cause any trouble. When i place cucumber in the tank for the plecos, which i grow in my backyard, the MTS eat the seeds afterwars. At night i can tell that the population is large but in the daytime or anytime my lights are on, honestly, you have a hard time knowing they are even there unless you know you are looking for them. I don't have any issues with them, but i can see how someone would consider them a nuissance if not in the right conditions. My tank is heavily planted and i do over-filtration. I have a 55 gallon - long, and i run two 2213 EHEIM canisters.
What did one ocean say to the other?
Nothing...they just waved.
:clap:

Return to “Tank Talk”