Stocking question

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
CoryCollector

Stocking question

Post by CoryCollector »

I currently have 2 tanks. Both are running at about the same parameters: 77 degrees F, pH 7, ammonia nitrites and nitrates 0. Substrate is sand in both tanks as well.

One tank is a lightly planted 29 gallon with 12 neon tetras, a pair of kribensis, 2 sterbai cories, and 6 peppered cories.

The other tank is a 55 gallon with 4 neon tetras, 6 red eye tetras, 10 cherry barbs, 5 kribensis, 1 6" pleco (getting rid of it soon), 3 delphax cories, 4 panda cories, and 4 albino cories.

Assuming I can move any and all fish necessary, what would the best configuration be? Hybridization is not a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoryCollector

Re: Stocking question

Post by CoryCollector »

I moved the 2 kribensis out of the 29 and into the 55. I'm thinking about getting some more fish to add to the 29 to help boost the nitrates for the plants. Should I get some more neons or get another type of fish? And if so, any suggestions?
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

you should try an angel or something big for the 55. doesn't seem like there is a large noticeable fish in that tank yet.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Angels like to be amongst themselves. This would not be my advise

Does Laetacara cumingi any bell? These do not grow that big, and you could keep a pair.

They are cichlids, but peacefull.
cats have whiskers
CoryCollector

Post by CoryCollector »

I got 6 more neons and a dozen glolite tetras. I moved the kribs into the 55 and I'm planning on getting rid of the pleco today. One pair of kribs spawned a while back and they're guarding fry at the moment.
CoryCollector

Post by CoryCollector »

I got the pleco out of the 55 today. Bas, I've never heard of that and I couldn't find anything online either. Would rainbows do well with the fish I have currently? Also, I just bought a 400 gph power head today.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Odd. I read it in every book. In Dutch, obviously. I do have a feeling books in English are written to be sold, and if the people don't want te read angelfish (Pterophylum) need to be amongst themselves, the book will be sold less.

Can't say Dutch booksellers are really different, but the writers are. A nice example is said the Malawi cichlid books by Ad Konings. He started in Dutch, then he went living in Texas and wrote in English - making his tanksuggestions much smaller. Obviously, the fish are the same, so the tanks ought to be the same size.

With regard to rainbowfishes, most prefer hard water, while your South american fish prefer soft water. I son't know much about rainbowfishes - never kept them, don't ecpect to ever keep them - and perhaps there are soft water Rainbow fishes, but I think fishes from South america, which know how to deal witrh cichlids would be a better option
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”