Air pump help, new catfish owner

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Ucigas
Location 2: Chicago

Air pump help, new catfish owner

Post by Ucigas »

Hello I just recently (2 days ago) put my baby bullhead (3 inches) catfish in a new tank and yesterday I added an air pump, only I noticed that the pump was for 10-30 gallon tanks and he is currently in a 5 gallon one. He seemed to be playing in the bubbles and having a good time yesterday but his movements seem more restricted when it's on and he only swims against the current and I read that that was normal but I don't know. This morning I found him laying against the side of the tank. When it's off he swims all around but when it's on he mostly swims against the current, so I should probably turn it off right? This is probably a dumb question but I still want to know for sure
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Air pump help, new catfish owner

Post by JamesFish »

I'm going to ask a few questions these are not meant as offensive just to fill in the blanks.

If my maths is right 5 gallon is an 18L tank which is a little small for a 3 inch fish. Now I may be wrong.

If you feel the current is to strong from the filter most have an adjustment you can make but without seeing how its in use I can't make any suggestions. If its an air stone or under gravel sort of setup you can get a adjustment for the pipe line to trim it a little.

Also is this a brand new tank freshly filled with water?

So here's what you can do to help others answer you.

If you can a Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH reading. A picture of your tank and how you use the air stone for filtration. Some may be able to guess correctly and if you cant give all provide what information you can.

He will swim against a current if one is their for him to do so like most fish at times but if the tanks to small for him to escape the current he may just sit in the best spot possible. Is he eating okay and being a poop machine?
Ucigas
Location 2: Chicago

Post by Ucigas »

I decided to kill him instead. Thank you for your help, though
pitbull13
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: omaha ne
Interests: plecos plecos and more plecos

Post by pitbull13 »

Why
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

Post by fairgroundfish »

Omg cant believe i just read that!!! As if you just killed it what the hell?? Why get it if you couldnt look after it, i mean its not like any fish takes alot of care, not like say a child...

Return to “Tank Talk”