heater help please

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

heater help please

Post by fairgroundfish »

Just moved house and new house is colder, my old one kept the tank at around 30°C so never needed a heater, but now im lucky to get it to 24°C. My tank is approx 123ltrs. I need to get a heater. Was wonderung if anyone can recomend one? Tia x
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: heater help please

Post by Bas Pels »

What a heater basically does, is add heat which the tank has lost. That is, heat is lost only through the outer surfaces of the tank.

Were one to keep a long tank and a short one with the same liters, the long one, with more outer surface, will need more heat then the short one. But insolating also helps

As a general rule, each square meter of a tank will loose 3 to 6 watts per degree Celsius. That is, your tank needs to be 6 degrees warmer then is would be without heater, so you will need 18 to 36 watts per square meter. Than, do remember the heater has a thermostate - if the outcome is 72 watts, you can use a 100 or 150 watt heater. So is can rest.

What brand? I have no clue what's sold in the UK.
cats have whiskers
Brian2014
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:54)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Birmingham uk

Post by Brian2014 »

I use Elite submersible heaters on my tanks have always found them to be good quality
fairgroundfish
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Rutland

Post by fairgroundfish »

Well i nipped into pets at home today they only stock the delta therm ones. I think it was a 200w one i needed, cant get it till next week tho. Anyone used that brand ive heard goid and bad things about them...
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Post by David R »

Wow, must have been a big drop in the temp of your house! I'd look at insulating the back and sides of the tank with polystyrene if possible, might be cheaper than a new heater. Otherwise, I've had good mileage out of the Eheim/Jager heaters.
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

I've had lots of problems with the delta therm heaters. I'd second Eheim/Jäger. Buy online and it'll be cheaper than the delta therm from P@H!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

jaegers seem to be the best over the long haul, 3-5 watts per gallon has been the accepted rule for a long time. you are better off with 2 100 watt heaters (for example) then one 200 watt . this is so if one heater fails the tank will not get too cool, likewise if the heater sticks on it gives you more time before fried fish set in.

Return to “Tank Talk”