Beginners Advice Please

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Springer
Location 2: Queensland Australia

Beginners Advice Please

Post by Springer »

Hi everyone,
I have been reading a few posts and feel rather out of my depth already :-\

I have to say, we only brought our fishtank about 4 weeks ago and looking into what we should have done, and how we should have done it......we did it all completely wrong yet some how got away with it, so far. So I know I am going about this in a rather backward fashion, but I am hoping you won't hold that against me and will be willing to help me get on the right track please.

In reading most posts, our tank is tiny in comparison to the sizes being mentioned here, so again... feeling out of my depth.

Basically we were given a very small tank, what I guess might be used as a quarantine or recovery tank to just seperate a sick fish. It was only for the kids to put a few guppies in. This went well, kids loved it, we loved having the fish, originally didn't want filters and lights and all the fuss of fishtanks. More like a simple bowl for the kids to enjoy, type set up. We decided we wanted a couple of catfish (bristlenose) to clean the tank. When we went to the lady's house to collect them we fell in love with her AquaOne tank. She had a large 6ft breeding tank outside but a really nice AquaOne fancy tank inside in the lounge. That's what did it. We wanted a bigger tank with lights and filtration.

So we went out and brought a new tank that came with the light hood and an internal filter (Interpet PF3). We had no idea about cycling, so gave it a wash, poured in our gravel, filled it up (used the water conditioner to make the tap water safe), put in the ornaments and fake weed from the tiny tank, and then floated the fish in a bag for a while to adjust to the new water temp and then released them into the new tank.

So the tank is a 120litre tank, which I think equates to around 30 Gallon?

I am a little embarrassed to say how many fish are in the tank, as I have been quite shocked to read how few other people have in comparison, so I gather ours is very overstocked.
We have a group of guppies, haven't counted them, and have ended up with 5 bristlenose plecos, 2 longfin bristlenose plecos and (yes there is more :icon-redface: ) 4 Peppermint catfish as well.

I can just imagine you all going "whattttttttttt??????????" X_X

They are all babies though, small. We now realise of course that we cannot keept his many as they grow and mature, so I guess we will have to pick which ones we really like the most and try to get a male and female. Obviously something we are doing is keeping the fish fairly happy, even though the tank is over stocked. We have changed over to live plants instead of fake ones, and we have a log in the tank for the plecos, a couple of ornaments and deep fine gravel for the base.

I would like to buy an external Cannister Filter, (as I'm not really happy with the internal filter) so I am wondering if you would be willing to give some general advice to keeping this tank happy for the fish/plecos that are in it at present, knowing that we are aware we will have to reduce the numbers in the tank in the not too distant future. I really like the peppermint plecos we have, but given the fact that they hide quite a lot, we would probably end staying with the common bristlenose or the longfin bristlenose as they are active all day and very enjoyable to watch.

Sorry for the lenght of this post, but I thought the whole story might help.
Thanks so much for reading :)
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Beginners Advice Please

Post by Bas Pels »

Welcome

Somehow, I think you might just manage to find a good home for your exess bristlenoses - in new tanks you are going to set up.

I think the 120 liter tank will suffice for 1 or a pair of them, the others will have to move. Males and females are easily recognized, males develop a mustache - or bristles on their noses.

But reading your enthousiasm - I don't think you will want to pass them on. No harm there, one can have more than 1 tank (I got 27 running, for instance)

And regarding the level of the postings - I can't name any fish-forum which is comparable - you just happened to find the best one there is
cats have whiskers
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

Welcome to Planet Catfish

First we should have pictures of the catfishs, to see what you actually have:
Especially "Peppermint" could be Parancistrus nudiventris or Ancistrus sp. (L071) (hope the second one).
And gernarally fish sold under wrong name is far from seldom and commun names are not always the same.
Springer
Location 2: Queensland Australia

Post by Springer »

Thanks so much for the replies and the welcomes :)

I actually looked up some info last night on our Peppermints only to find the "Aussie" Peppermints don't match exactly to any of the L numbers. That while they are young they have the white stripe on their tails, but apparently this disappears once they get a little bigger. As I said mine are all only young. I will try to attach some photos.
LOL about extra tanks.... yes that thought is already on our minds. I have a feeling that is why I haven't rushed out to get a Cannister filter yet.... just in case we end up with a bigger tank and therefore need a bigger canister for it and leave the current set up as it is for now.

Ok I think I got the photos to work, we'll find out when I submit this reply. The first photo isn't really clear, but is of all three types we have, the bristlenose and longfin bristlenose up the top of the log and the Peppermint is underneath. Sorry, not the best photo. The second one, is of our Peppermints, but apparently they lose the white stripe on the tail as they grow.

Thanks again :)
Attachments
Bristlenose up top, Peppermint under, Longfin right.JPG
Peppermint catfish.JPG

Return to “Tank Talk”