100 Gallon Community

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
echankarsingh
Location 2: Canada

100 Gallon Community

Post by echankarsingh »

So I have my 100 gallon aquarium set up and has been cycling for 4 weeks now with all water parameters measuring where they need to be. I have added some Dwarf Rainbowfish from my 50 gallon to the 100 gallon yesterday and will cycle for 2 weeks with those. After fully cycled and if the Dwarf Rainbowfish survive I will be moving some of my stock from the 50 gallon over to the 100 gallon tank. I need some ideas for bottom feeders, a centerpiece fish, and some middle swimmers.
Stock moving from 50 to 100 gallon:
1 Black GhostKnife 1.5"inch
1 Gold Gourami, 1 Opaline Gourami (paired)
1 Kennyi Cichlid 0.5"inch
1 Yellow Lab cichlid 1"inch
1 Pictus Catfish (yes, yes I know they aren't supposed to be alone) 2"
So far that will be the stock going into the 100.

My ideas were:
3 Angelfish
2 Bolivian Rams
Aaaaaand that's the extent of my list, I know, it's pitiful. So any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Re: 100 Gallon Community

Post by Supercorygirl »

I would not recommend angels and bolivian rams with this mix as water chemistry and aggression levels. Bolivians and angels need softer water and lower ph than your kennyi and lab. Bolivians are extremely docile, my sterbai corys bully them out for food. The 2 Africans and the gouramis as well will probably nip the fins to shreds. Might have to rethink your choices after you decide which fish you want more
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
originalhandy
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: Houston

Post by originalhandy »

I have 3 angelfish with German Blue Rams, I find they do well together. No aggression between them and there is plenty of hiding spots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

you do know that there are better ways to cycle a tank with live fish right? some people consider it inhumane. straight ammonia can be used, a filter that is established can be moved to the tank, that kind of thing. a few dwarf rainbowfish are probably not going to suffer much in a tank that large but they are also not going to do much in the way of actual cycling as the bacteria will multiply to deal with the ammonia they are presented with and there isn't going to be much
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

originalhandy wrote:I have 3 angelfish with German Blue Rams, I find they do well together. No aggression between them and there is plenty of hiding spots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I meant when mixed with gouramis and African cichlids.

If it was myself I'd rehome the lab and the kennyi and just watch for aggression between the angels and the gouramis. The Africans need different water conditions and will be the most aggressive whereas the other fish require similar water conditions.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
echankarsingh

Post by echankarsingh »

Alright so I have a better stocking list now of the 100 gallon community. Not getting rid of any fish, cichlid or gouramis. I know they would prefer different parameters but I've had both cichlids in the gourami tank for over a month now with absolutely no problems. They've adjusted to the water their in, thus they are staying, if they don't survive then I just won't replace them. Soooo the stock so far is:
1 BGK
2 Gouramis (large)
1 Kennyi cichlid
1 Yellow Lab
1 Tiger Barb(forgot about her in the 50gal)
1 Pictus Catfish
IDEAS:
1 Ropefish
3 Angels(M/F)
4 Turquoise Rainbowfish

Not sure if I can even add anything else after that, I would really like to try and get a small school of 3" fishes in there to add movement and colour, any suggestions for that would be great!!
echankarsingh

Post by echankarsingh »

Sooo it looks like I will be adding:
1 Ropefish
3-4 Angelfish
1 Ctenopoma (Leopard bush)
and either 3 bright Rainbowfish( unsure which type) oooorrr a pair of Killifish??

What's everyone's thoughts?
The complete list would be:
1 BGK
1 Tiger Barb
1 Pictus
1 Kennyi, 1 Lab cichlid
2 Gouramis
1 Ropefish
3 Angelfish
1 Leopard Bushfish
**3 Rainbowfish----or 2 Killifish(M/F)**
echankarsingh

Post by echankarsingh »

After some serious thought and research I've decided my centerpiece fish will be a striped Peacock Eel instead of a Ropefish. I still feel as though my tank may be over stocked. I have 90 gallons of filtration on my 60 gallon tank, along with a water pump and an air pump to be equipped with a bubble wall. I transferred the Cichlids and Gouramis, this morning and they look great. The cichlids are visibly happier and extremely active, the Gouramis are hiding but that's normal, they will take a week to settle in.
echankarsingh

Post by echankarsingh »

I don't know how I wrote 60 gallons, it's a 100 gallon tank with 90 gallons of filtration...
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 53#p277553

Are these threads not basically the same?
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010

Return to “Tank Talk”