Damaged anubias - L201 culprit?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
sauk1
Location 2: Sverige

Damaged anubias - L201 culprit?

Post by sauk1 »

I am new to this forum and I hope I write in the right area of the forum.

I have recently bougt two L201 and right before that rearranged my aquarium and increased the lighting wattage. Now I can see my anubias, which always have grown and looked good, deteriorate. I am wondering why? I started guessing it was nutrients. Then strong lights. But I recently got the suggestion it could be a catfish. I have corys trilineatus in the tank too, but they are old and have previously targeted thin leaves.

I attach a pic.

Any advice is appreciated!
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1414704745064.jpg
Raul-7
Location 1: Lomita, CA
Location 2: Lomita, CA

Re: Damaged anubias - L201 culprit?

Post by Raul-7 »

Looks more like a nutrient deficiency. Very few if any species eat Anubias sp.

What do you dose?
sauk1

Post by sauk1 »

Pmdd: Micro and macro each week day after water change (30-50%). Co2 injection with diffuser. 180 liter tank.
sauk1

Post by sauk1 »

And when all lamps run it's 168 watts.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Depending on whether any veggie content is given in their diet, many supposedly carnivorous plecos will gnaw on plants. This is based solely on my own experience with L201, L333, L340, L260, and other Hypans. Of course the omnivorous plecos will devour anything if they want to. I have been able to prevent it in my pleco tanks by feeding raw veggies and also veggie food sticks, while I have been unsuccessful in my Discus/Hypan tank since I feed mostly freeze dried blackworms and pellets.
Raul-7
Location 1: Lomita, CA
Location 2: Lomita, CA

Post by Raul-7 »

http://miyabi-aqua.com/wp-content/uploa ... abeled.jpg

Looks more like a potassium deficiency.
sauk1

Post by sauk1 »

Strange if I get a potassium deficiency on a slow growing anubias and not other plants, when adding (among other things) KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 each week.

Ok, I have to remove damaged leaves and try to feed with a lot of veggies also, to see if that solves it?
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Are any of the other plants being damaged?
sauk1

Post by sauk1 »

Today I just saw a new leaf from my red tiger lotus releasing air because of a damage to its edges. I also have a damaged sword, but hard to say if it is an old deficiency, lack of light (loads of vallisneria leaves above) or pleco problem... My newly planted pogostemon helferi is being knocked loose and I loose leaves, but I always guessed it was because of my corys.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
That is definitely plec. grazing damage to the Anubias leaf, as other have noted fish don't usually eat Anubias, possibly because it is an Aroid and contains raphids. The green algae and pale, green colour would suggest that the plants are receiving too much light. I'd move it into a more shaded place, or add some floaters.

I'd try feeding a vegetable supplement, zucchini might be a good place to start.

cheers Darrel
sauk1

Post by sauk1 »

Thanks Darrel.

Just had a night with zucchini and cucumber all over the place. At least one of the cooked zucchini slices got eaten. Hoping it is my plecos and not just the cheeky amano shrimp...
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I found that are a lot more partial to algae than most people appreciate.

If I put the condensation tray in the tank, most of the algae is gone by the next day.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
At least one of the cooked zucchini slices got eaten.
I don't bother with cooking, or blanching, any of the vegetables, you have to sink them, but they tend to make less of a mess. Some plecs will eat them straight away ( etc.), but etc let them get pretty slimy first.

I've noticed feeding damage to sweet potato in a tank, with Hypancistrus present, that looks like the consumer had fairly sharp teeth, so it may have been either and/or .
I found that are a lot more partial to algae than most people appreciate
That would make sense, so it may have been the algae that attracted them, rather than the Anubias itself.

cheers Darrel

Return to “Tank Talk”