I love corys, but....which ones?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
naturlabio
Location 2: España

I love corys, but....which ones?

Post by naturlabio »

Hello people,

This is my tank:

Now there are only 4 wild green discus and I have removed the rocks and plants. I am thinking about buy some corys like tankmates for discus. But I´m wondered which corys are the best tankmates for them.

Ph is 6,30.
kh=2-3
Temp: 86ºF

Thanks,
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: I love corys, but....which ones?

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Have a look at "Warm water Cories", <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 0&p=203668>.
.......I have removed the ...... plants
Can I ask why? Hopefully a Discus keeper will come on, but I think that a tank with no cover must be stressful for your wild Discus. Plants also help with maintaining water quality. If you don't want them planted you could have floating plants.

This tank belonged to Ed Prust, a Dutch fish-keeper who keeps fantastic large planted tanks.

Have a look at "Apistomaster's" posts on Discus <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/sear ... or_id=5933>, he has been a successful Discus breeder for years, and is full of good advice.

cheers Darrel
jamesleagas
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: england
Location 2: birmingham

Post by jamesleagas »

the main thing with your tank is its very understocked with discus, u need 8 discus minimum imo for them to behave naturally,wild discus are completely fine in bare tanks providing they have a big enough group (same with domestic)

this is my roma 240 which has very good stock and as u can see the discus spread out nicely and are very comfortable and confidentImage
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
We are going to have to differ on this one. The Discus look in really good condition, but I wouldn't keep 8 discus in a tank that size, and I wouldn't keep any fish in a tank that empty long term.

cheers Darrel
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

jamesleagas wrote:this is my roma 240 which has very good stock and as u can see the discus spread out nicely and are very comfortable and confident
Yes, but those aren't wilds.

I'm not a huge fan of planted discus tanks as even though mine is planted (mostly wilds with a couple of Cuipera Crosses from Forrest). The main reason being that if your discus get ill or stop eating the first advice you get is to raise to temps....to 29 or 30 degrees C. In most instances, in a couple of weeks you have almost no plants left. I had a very nice planted tank initially until one of the Heckels went off its food and I raised the temps and now my tanks has mostly Fissidens with a couple of Anubias nana.

Anyway, having said that, having no plants doesn't mean unscaped. My tank has loads of Manzanita. The other thing is lighting. With wilds, a brightly light tank which is mostly bare can cause them to dash wildly when the lights come on causing them to injury themselves and lead to infection.

So my advice would be to add some wood where they can hide (Darrel's suggestion of floating plants is good too), and lower the lighting, since you don't have any plants.

With domestics, they are used to being crowded and disturbed (see all those 99% water changes on youtube) and they just don't care. They also can live in harder water than a lot of the wilds.

Oh to get back to the original question, I've had Sterbai cories in my discus tank since day 1 and they have bred over and over. They seem to even thrive in the 30 degree C range when I've had the temps up there. Currently my tank is at 28 C.
Mountain
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: Aquarium, Guitar, Fotography etc.

Post by Mountain »

I would say Corydors sterbai as well.
B W
Klaus
Supercorygirl
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:124)
Location 2: Devon, AB, Canada

Post by Supercorygirl »

I would suggest some décor in the tank before adding corys, a big bright open space is just going to stress them out.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise. - Lewis Carroll
jamesleagas

Post by jamesleagas »

wilds can be kept just the same as domestics. I've seen this done by friends loads, all the main discus suppliers in uk that import wilds keep them in the same tanks as domestics on the same systems, bare tanks with hi stocks etc

and imo all discus can be pretty skittish when tanks have low stock

just my opinions of course and what works for some might not others good luck

btw i have sterbai corys f1's in with my discus and they thrive, i love themImageImage
jamesleagas

Post by jamesleagas »

Supercorygirl wrote:I would suggest some décor in the tank before adding corys, a big bright open space is just going to stress them out.
thats a very good point, i had my corys in the tank before when it was bare and they behaved very odd, swimming up the corners of the tank constantly
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Post by jodilynn »

The LFS has 2 120s with discus, angels, and various tetra species, the keep Sterbai in their tanks, they get quite large and have such beautiful coloration on their fins. They are truly one of my favorite corys!

(fyi, the LFS has their Discus tanks heavily planted with several pieces of driftwood as well).

Return to “Tank Talk”