Tiny White Creatures on a Mossball?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
jodilynn
I've donated: $84.00!
My cats species list: 85 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 8 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 41
Location 2: BeeEffaEe, MI

Tiny White Creatures on a Mossball?

Post by jodilynn »

Hi All,

I bought one of those Moss Balls to put in my split 2.5 gallon Betta Tank, home to my blue crowntail "Spike" and my ancient and sadly blind Dragonscale "Captain America". I figured it would help with the oxygen in the tank (no airstone) and give my "old man" someplace soft to lay on.

Well, I flipped on the light this morning and I noticed tiny white spots on the moss ball, then I looked and there were tiny white spots CRAWLING all over the tank! I wigged! I had to take the kids to school and when I got back the tiny white pinpoints where not on the glass, but seemed to be concentrated on the ball. I yanked it out and rinsed it in cold water for several minutes. I removed my bettas and floated them in cups in my 55 gallon catfish tank to keep them warm (more on this later). I stirred the gravel, rinsed the plants, cleaned the filter and replaced the pad, and probably did about a 60% water change. The moss ball is back in the cup it came in and is probably going back to Petsmart x( .

Any idea what these are?!?!?!?! The fish didn't seem bothered or to even notice them. Friend? Foe? Fishfood? I am also worried as the one betta cup tipped and some of the water from the creepy crawly tank wound up in my catfish tank :(( .

If someone could please advise? I have rinsed all my buckets siphons and cleaning materials in scalding hot water in an effort not to spread this to my other tanks :-S .
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: Tiny White Creatures on a Mossball?

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
They sound like "Ostracods", a small crustacean with a hard outer "shell". They are really common in nearly all liquid water. They are quite harmless, some fish will eat them, and some won't.

From <"http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/aqua ... 994/page-4">

cheers Darrel
jodilynn

Post by jodilynn »

Ok, jeez THANKS as long as they aren't fish lice or something lethal! Ugh!

Is it safe to put that moss ball bank in the tank? I've rinsed and rinsed it! ~X(
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
jodilynn wrote:Is it safe to put that moss ball bank in the tank? I've rinsed and rinsed it! ~X(
Yes the Ostracods are entirely harmless.

I have them in all the tanks, and where the fish don't eat them they will increase until they are visible.

If you can get past the "creep" factor a lot of small crustaceans (like Ostracods and Asellus aquaticus) can perform a useful role in the tank of both "janitor" and additional live food supply.

The yellow dots in the image are Ostracods (that I fed with some Daphnia). The male , didn't differentiate and ate both.

cheers Darrel
jodilynn

Post by jodilynn »

Oh geez now I feel bad I need a "cleanup" crew in that tank as my poor blind Betta occasionally misses a pellet. I try to be super careful when I feed them as there are no corys or snails in the tank I know sometimes food goes uneaten.

Oh well! Maybe I missed a few, I will throw the mossball back in there.

THANKS!
jodilynn

Post by jodilynn »

Well I now noticed that they are all over the driftwood in my son's 40 gallon cube. Hopefully the Mega Clown Pleco I am picking up tomorrow will feast on these little critters!

Can I ask if the reason I never saw these in any other tanks is because they all have snails and plecos living in them?

Return to “Tank Talk”