HYDRA PURE

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Brian2014
My cats species list: 4 (i:4, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:4, p:54)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Birmingham uk

HYDRA PURE

Post by Brian2014 »

I was just wondering if any one has used a Hydro pure filter before? after doing some research online reading on other forums i thought i would give one ago! i am pretty impressed so far still early days. First heard about them on the uk facebook page pleco sales or swap uk
youtube promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PLdMeU38E
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: HYDRA PURE

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
There is a discussion here: <http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... 6&t=242062>, including some comment by the manufacturer.

cheers Darrel
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: HYDRA PURE

Post by TwoTankAmin »

What an oversimplification of nature and cycling. Fill a tank with plants and you get the same result.

Fill a tank with plants and use this device to remove two things the plants usually need, ammonium and nitrate.

Run a large Matten Filter, use proper and sufficient filter media that promotes denitrification, or run a planted substrate and you have no nitrate.

I noticed there is no mention of cost etc. for this device.

What is the difference between using this electrochemical device and using additives to try and deal with things?

And finally, microbiology is more than removing ammonia, There is a relationship in the biofilm in which a host of bacteria live and which do a lot of good things for a tank which has as its base ammonia. This device appears to destroy nature not help it.
Biofilm
A loose definition for microbial aggregates that usually accumulate at a solid–liquid interface and are encased in a matrix of highly hydrated EPS. Included in this definition are cell aggregates such as flocs (floating biofilms) and sludge, which are not attached to an interface but which share the characteristics of biofilms. Multispecies biofilms can form stable microconsortia, develop physiochemical gradients, and undergo horizontal gene transfer and intense cell–cell communication, and these
consortia therefore represent highly competitive environments.
from http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Han ... 000000.pdf

My bet is it is a poor way to insure a long term healthy tank. There is no mention of the effect it might have on pH or conductivity.

I do not care what internal research a company might do to get to the point of making claims since all such research is basically aimed at selling a product. If independent researchers, with no axe to grind, do the studies, that is one thing. What this company is doing is not independent science.

The best part about this device for the maker is that it prevents a tank from ever becoming cycled which means, once you begin using their device, you must use it forever or else revert to what we have been doing for decades successfully using nature.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “Tank Talk”