Water test results need advice please

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
plec0
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Macon,Georgia

Water test results need advice please

Post by plec0 »

Ok its been 7 years now since ive left the hobby.. now my son is 7 years old and he loves fish and thus sparked my fire to start hobby again with plecos and cichlids. I current ly have 1 tank started it is a 30 gallon tall with a hang on filter by tetra called whisper 60. Have a small air pump for air purifier. And temp is between 78 and 80F. Tank currently houses 4 1.5 inch electric blue jack Dempsey and a 2 inh gold nugget pleco..now the EBJD are temp. Till i can mature my new 100 gallon tank and i want to start back breeding plecos and Jd. Ive lost all memory on water quality parameters and have bought several test kits to check my tank water as now i have a new home and have well water not city water.. after doing 5 consecutive tests 1 a day the results came out almost the same if not identical with 10 to 20% water changes every 3 days.. current test reads Ph 6.3 to 6.8 GH 30 ppm to 60 ppm KH 40 ppm Nitrite 3 to 5 ppm Nitrate 0 to 20 ppm..can anybody please let me know if this needs to be fixed with anything or if this waater is safe.I cant recall my past water tests and parameters when i bred plecos and cichlids. .thanks so much and glad 2 be back into the hobby..
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Water test results need advice please

Post by naturalart »

I don't breed plecos or jack dempsey's so I can't advise you in that arena. But I would advise; if you are living down hill from agriculture or high density human habitation, installing a basic, large, carbon filter mainly for nitrite and nitrate, but also to guard against lots of other possible inorganic molecules; and high levels of organic molecules. When I mean large I mean something like in the 6'x3'x3' tub neighborhood. Something you may not have to change for like a year or so. I dont know your budget, but it could be a good 'safeguard' move for you.

Return to “Tank Talk”